UKC

Rock climbing baby

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 razzorbuzz 01 Feb 2012

Just seen this on the BBC website and I wondered what peoples thoughts were. I appreciate her comments and what was said in the article but it's still something I wouldn't do. There is always the risk of a fall and I have taken some small drops over the years even on a top-rope due to a small amount of slack in the line. There is also still the possibility of an inversion in a fall and wherever you go you are never 100% from falling rocks it comes with the territory.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-16812023.

Would any of you do this with a child, or is it just a bit of publicity for her "Family Climbing Guide"
 Wile E. Coyote 01 Feb 2012
In reply to razzorbuzz: Link is broken but is it anything to do with this..

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=492578
In reply to razzorbuzz:

come on, keep up now...!

Tony the Blade 01 Feb 2012
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:
> (In reply to razzorbuzz)
>
> come on, keep up now...!
>
>

The link is to an Off-Belay thread, and as such I wouldn't have seen it.

And the thread title (How have we not flamed her yet?) would be one that I'd just skim past, so all-in-all this thread has surved its purpose.
 JLS 01 Feb 2012
In reply to Tony the Blade:

>"would be one that I'd just skim past"

You'd skim past an opertunity for a flaming?
What's wrong with you people?
In reply to Tony the Blade:
> (In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs)
> [...]
>> And the thread title (How have we not flamed her yet?) would be one that I'd just skim past, so all-in-all this thread has surved its purpose.

you'd skim past *that* thread title..?

<incredulous gasp>

you obviously have stronger willpower than me...

toad 01 Feb 2012
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to Tony the Blade)
>
> >"would be one that I'd just skim past"
>
> You'd skim past an opertunity for a flaming?
> What's wrong with you people?

youtube.com/watch?v=ZNeq2Utm0nU&
mgco3 01 Feb 2012
In reply to razzorbuzz: I dont see the problem with taking a young un climbing.. Really useful at times. A long tape tied around the little begger before you jam them into a wide crack and they make an ideal squidgey, multipurpose piece or safety. They tend to 'give' on a fall rather than whip out and can take a surprising amount of force!!
 RockAngel 01 Feb 2012
In reply to razzorbuzz: I wouldnt have a baby strapped to my back like that while climbing. 1, it doesnt look that secure and Id forver be worried that the baby would fall out and 2, it would throw balance out a bit and would make some moves impossiblie to try

The Daily Fail wouldnt put my comment up of me allowing my son to try to dislodge the Cantilever Stone on the top of Glyder Fach on his own, or that I let him sit on the Cannon Stone on Tryfan for a pic.
 colina 01 Feb 2012
In reply to razzorbuzz: m all for introducing the kids to the outdoors but i wd have thought the babies dad would be horrified if he saw those pictures.no helmet,no full harness that i can see either.wots stopping the bab falling out ? she'll probably take him base jumping next.
 Tony the Blade 01 Feb 2012
In reply to colina:

It being the Daily Fail and all, if that were the father being as carefree with the kid then the outrage would be monufookingmental!

If the route requires her to wear a helmet then why not the young 'un?

As others have suggested... I wouldn't feel safe doing this without a proper harness.

However, not my kid and I'm pretty sure I've done stuff with my lad that others would frown upon.
myth 01 Feb 2012
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to Tony the Blade)

> You'd skim past an opertunity for a flaming?

I just don't understand people sometimes. Sickening.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...