UKC

Into Thin Air - on LoveFilm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Annoying Twit 02 Feb 2012
For LoveFilm subscribers, "Into Thin Air" is currently available to watch online, free for those with subscriptions that include "Watch Online".

http://www.lovefilm.com/film/Into-Thin-Air-Death-on-Everest/92392/
 The Bushman 02 Feb 2012
In reply to Annoying Twit: never new this film exist. I guess it says enough, could not be that successful. But the only way to have a an opinion is to see it, will add it to my list on LF
 DreadyCraig 02 Feb 2012
In reply to Annoying Twit:
Thanks, added to my watch list
Annoying Twit 02 Feb 2012
In reply to DreadyCraig:

I've just watched it. There are some interesting vistas. But overall, I don't think it's that well made. I'm not convinced by the acting, and the stories aren't told that well. E.g. Beck Weathers is shown coming back to conciousness, and stumbling into camp, but they didn't show the rest of his survival story. They sort of mentioned Boukreev climbing without oxygen and racing down from the summit, but didn't really give a good depiction of the controversy surrounding this. (I haven't read "The Climb" either).

Can the Taiwanese climbers (presumably including Makalu Gao, though I don't remember him being named) really have been as incompetent as depicted, e.g. trying to put a crampon on with the teeth sticking up into the boot?

I haven't read Krackauers's book, and hence people who have may have a different view on the film.

One thing I did appreciate is that they were very clear about the seriousness of the 2pm turnaround rule, which was broken and that this was a major contributor to the tragedy.

(Hoping it isn't insensitive to give the film a not wonderful review given that it is a real world disaster with real world tregedy)
Carpe Diem 02 Feb 2012
In reply to Annoying Twit:

Watched this a few years ago, and as I recall its a shocker. Worthy of a showing on the sci fi or horror channels... so bad its good

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...