UKC

Parbold Quarry Users???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jeromecooper 14 Mar 2012
Does anyone have, or know of any online topos for Parbold Quarry???

I work in rufford every tuesday and was thinking about using it as a bouldering venue after work when the days start to get longer.

I had look at it today and it seems pretty filthy but nothing a few bin bags and a litter pick wouldnt fix. As for the routes,,,,, nothing looks amazing but it would be convienient as an after work venue for me so I'm thinking of giving it a bit of a clean.

Any locals out there actually using it? I noticed some pretty dodgey looking bolts and some chalk marks. Any info would be gratefully recieved.

Cheers,

Jerome
 mark hounslea 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Jeromecooper: The Merseyside sandstone guidebook is in its final stages and has this crag in it. Hopefully the guide may attract more users. The bolts are glue-ins and are fine. What the crag really needs is some traffic and a bit of TLC.
OP Jeromecooper 14 Mar 2012
In reply to mark hounslea:

What the crag really needs is some traffic and a bit of TLC. And some!

Admittedly it does have potential though.

Any chance of a topo of the quarry?
I intend to search out some bouldering problems there but it'd be nice to know of some graded ones that already exist.

Clay C 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Jeromecooper:

There are some topos in the photo section of the crag on UKC. Only been there once myself, but found them good enough to work out where everything was.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/item.html?crag=1127
 Darrengold 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Clay C: Unfortunately, the photo's don't cover the main wall. Those routes are in the old sandstone guide and from what I've been told, are in the new one!!
OP Jeromecooper 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Clay C:

Aha! Somehow I missed those photos when I was looking earlier.

Does anyone use this place regularly?
 robin mueller 14 Mar 2012

Some slightly more detailed info here. Click the 9 in the yellow circle. http://bouldr.net/#climb/53.58669775093231/-2.750348523259163/53.5864927579...
OP Jeromecooper 27 Mar 2012

Just to note, I went to Parbold today and started a clean of the walls on some of the bouldering problems.

I can confirm that there is plenty to do and plenty to be discovered there route wise. I was plesently suprised.

If anyone happens to go down please take a bin bag with you and fill it up. There are bins at the top of the hill so it's not even like you have to take the litter home with you.
It's really quite a nice little venue but the local scallies have scattered there waste about abit.

I reccomend this quarry and will be climbing every tuesday evening if anyone ever fancies joining. It could do with some more traffic, and I get the impression that I may be the only who has climbed it in years???
 CharlieW 27 Mar 2012

Do you park at the top of hill in the parking across the road from the pub? Can't visit it regularly but may have a look a round when I'm next at my girlfriends.
OP Jeromecooper 27 Mar 2012
In reply to CharlieW:

Yeah, the parking is just in the layby across from the pub on the crest of the hill. ( I believe it's a veiwing point also )
 innesmac 30 Mar 2012

Went here last night and was really suprised!!

More rubbish at other places, just a bit of muck on the surface, but once its gets a bit of traffic should be a really good venue.

I ended up traversing the whole wall last night. Some good looking crack climbs. Will try and head over on tuesdays as well and help get the place back to looking its best.

Anchors at the top are tree's and fence post. Dont bother with put at the top instead drive down into Parbold to pub near the canal. Cheaper beers or drive to pub have a pint then walk along canal path to the crag and back down again.

Anyone who goes, take a trush, abseil down some of teh face and crak routes and we should have a really good accessable venue to play in!
 Paul Evans 30 Mar 2012
Hi Jerome, think it was you I was chatting to at Hobson Moor on Monday? Just had a look in the upcoming BMC Cheshire Sandstone and there are 2 pages of intro and 4 pages of text / topos on Parbold, 42 routes in total from V Diff to E6. Looks good, must go have a look.

Not quite sure what it's doing in Cheshire Sandstone, as it seems to be grit .

Cheers

Paul
In reply to Paul Evans:
> (In reply to Jeromecooper)
>
> Not quite sure what it's doing in Cheshire Sandstone,

It is rather a long way from Cheshire, but I suppose the rock is closer geologically to the sandstone at Pex Hill Quarry than to the Grit at Denham or Anglezarke even though they are less than 15 miles from Parbold!

OP Jeromecooper 30 Mar 2012
In reply to Paul Evans:

Hi Paul, Yeah it was me you met at Hobson the other day. I'm looking forward to that guide coming out.
But yeah, Parbold is proving to be alot of fun as an after work venue.
OP Jeromecooper 30 Mar 2012
In reply to innesmac:

I'll be here after work every tuesday from about 6 till it gets dark. Bring on the long days of summer!
 mark hounslea 30 Mar 2012
In reply to Jeromecooper: the rock is Millstone grit, the same geologically as sandstone i.e. coal measure series but of a smaller grain series. It is going in the Merseyside and Cheshire guide for no other reason ........... than it was in the previous guides! You'll have to ask Les Ainsworth or someone from that era why?
Unfortunately when I wrote the section of the new guide I could find no evidence of any bouldering action and its now too late to add
 robin mueller 01 Apr 2012

A Parbold video here, might be of interest. vimeo.com/39582414

Some discussion on the other channel.

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,10762.msg356572.html#msg35657...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...