UKC

Tripod legs, plates and heads

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Si Withington 22 Mar 2012
Hi

I know this has been done to death, but every question is slightly different, times move on and different people see the posts..... so, caveats/excuses aside:

I need a new tripod/head. It will house an FX body, probably nothing bigger than 300 f4 (but you never know) and will be used for landscape work. It needs to be as portable/lightweight as possible too, as I would use it for travel work also.

I have read the excellent and informative article by Thom Hogan http://www.bythom.com/support.htm and agree with his points - unfortunately though I do not have £1000+ to spend on this sort of gear.

I appreciate that the head is more important than the legs, but like I say, I need light legs, which leads me towards something carbon fibre and with maybe 4 sections, so they pack small.

I don't mind forking out on the head, so may go for something like the Kirk BH-1 - therefore the legs must me compatible with the head.

I also need a quick release plate for my D7K - are 'cheaper' ones actually any good? It seems daft getting decent legs and a decent head and then compromising it all with a poor plate. WEX photography is giving away free plates with the BH-1, but this rings alarm bells if anything as they surely can't be that great if they're free?

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-kirk-bh-1-ball-head-and-free-universal-...

So, what I'm after is some advice on legs, plates, and maybe any other head options. I was looking at Gitzo legs, but I just can't afford £600 on top of everything else. I need something that will last just as long, perform as well, but cost less! I do appreciate Thom's point about spending well now, rather then spending again later.

I hear good things about Induro kit, but it's a good kilo heavier.

All advice gratefully received. I guess my budget it about £600 all in, rather than the £1000+ that it would cost me for the Gitzo set-up.

Si
Starkey92 22 Mar 2012
 icnoble 22 Mar 2012
In reply to zebedoo: The Kirk-BH1 head with plate is superb, I have the Arca equivalent, so definitely go for the Kirk. As to camera plates this site is the best for those, https://www.photoproshop.com/index.php?osCsid=4047rrktgrh99nibb95hhf5on6

I have used them and the service is first rate.

I have a Nikon D700 with the L-plate,and when used with the 24-70mm F2.8, which is a heavy lens, I get no movement of the camera when using in portrait orientation. With the 300mm F4 I use the lens collar from the the link above.

Regarding the tripod I use the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-055CXPRO4-Carbon-Section-Lightweight/dp/B...

icnoble 22 Mar 2012
In reply to icnoble: Regarding the fotopro tripod, that also seems a good choice. I certainly don't agree with the reviewers comments regarding ball heads.
 Adam Long 22 Mar 2012
In reply to zebedoo:

I'd have a careful look at the second hand and discount market before you commit. Gitzo are silly prices new but superb quality. I've just gone through a big tripod upgrade with a very similar budget to yours, so this should be fairly current:

My old setup, now relegated to lightweight uses, is Gitzo 1228 legs - carbon, 2 series, 4 section legs. £200 second-hand a couple of years back, like new, I guess the new equivalent would be 2540 or something. The legs are a bit fiddlier than the latest ones as they spin, but you soon get used to it. Excellent bit of kit and does me fine for landscapes with a D300, have also used lenses up to 300/4 and my medium format kit with it no problem. Head for that is a Manfrotto 486RC with the QR clip replaced with a cheap arca version, ~£70 new all in. That's a very good kit for a D7000 at less than half your budget.

Now I'm using a metal large format camera quite a bit it was clearly a bit on the light side. I got a set of 3 series Gitzo legs second hand for £300 - carbon, 3 section (3530L I think). Not at all light or compact though, and I think total overkill for a D7000. 3 series are not small, I would stick to 2 series from what you've written.

I then did a LOT of research on heads - really frustrating as most good ones are only available in the states. The one I would like is a RRS BH-40 or 55, but by the time you've paid postage and import tax it was way too much. I think a BH-1 would be too big for your kit or 2 series legs unless you seriously think a 500/4 is on the cards, and plan to get bigger legs in the future. In the end I decided a Gitzo 2780QR was the best bet - shop around and you can pick them up for under £200. Been using this setup for a month or so now and very happy - tension control will hold my LF rig or D300 + 300/4 so that they can be smoothly panned but will stay put when released. If I'm shooting just on the D300 I still tend to use it on the lighter rig though.

Final cost was getting the QR system working. The clamp on the Gitzo ballhead is okay but the plates are crap. Thankfully they do an adaptor: http://www.gitzo.com/arca-style-quick-release-plate-adapter . Although this works it is too tight for most plates that aren't genuine arca. I spent a while filing it down and it now works fine with all my plates. Whilst on the subject, unless you want a body-specific L-plate I would ignore the brands and go for the chinese one from ebay. Mine are a mix of Sunwayfoto and fotopro that I got through cameragearuk on ebay.
OP Si Withington 24 Mar 2012
In reply to Adam Long:

Hi Adam, cheers for taking the time to write out such an informative reply.

My head hurts from researching it all, but I ended up punting for Gitzo 2 series, 4 section legs and a Markins head. I've forked out for an L plate too.

Cheers again and hope you're well mate

Si
 Adam Long 25 Mar 2012
In reply to zebedoo:

Sounds spot on. Did you find a Markins supplier in the UK?
OP Si Withington 25 Mar 2012
In reply to Adam Long:

Nah, Nikonians' Pro Photo Shop over in Germany, but still fairly reasonable compared to the Kirk, RRS stuff, even when you take into account the Fed Ex delivery charges. Looks like good gear.
OP Si Withington 25 Mar 2012
In reply to icnoble:

Hi, sorry I missed your post there - thanks for taking the time to reply

S

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...