UKC

Anyone near DERBY who can cut screw threads? Stove needs help!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Siward 23 Mar 2012
Unusual request I know but I have an Optimus Nova stove in need of repair.

A 5mm screw (brass) protrudes from the bottom of the stove, held in place by a bolt. This bolt holds the whole stove together. Unfortunately the thread has stripped and the stove now wobbles about like a drunk. The relevant spare part costs over £40.

Idea- I will re-thread the screw as a 4mm thread and it should be good as new. Seems silly to go out and spend money on a die set to cut a new thread, given that I will only use it this once, plus I haven't cut a thread since metalwork classes at school.

So, anyone with a 4mm die and the requisite skills? Over to you. May even buy you a beer....
OP Siward 24 Mar 2012
In reply to Siward: Bump. I fail to believe that the UKC massive doesn't possess such esoteric skills!
 FrankBooth 24 Mar 2012
In reply to Siward:
Aldi was selling thread cutting kits recently
 woolsack 24 Mar 2012
In reply to Siward: I don't think anyone was excited at trying to cut a 4mm thread in brass
 bluerockman 24 Mar 2012
In reply to Siward: Go onto ebay, buy a cheap tap & die set, use it, then re-ebay it. overall it'll probably cost you a few quid. Or Phone optimus, see them the sob story - I find it hard to believe that a nut and bolt cost £40! Failing that, take the hole thing to somewhere like machine mart or HSS Hire, and explain that you want to use it for 5 mins, they'll probably let you use it for free.
andic 24 Mar 2012
In reply to Siward: send me a picture and a better description of what you need, a sketch maybe, and I may be able to help.

stannagemonkey@rockclimbing.com
OP Siward 25 Mar 2012
In reply to bluerockman: Its not just a nut and bolt- the screw thread is part of the main burner unit.
Andic, I will send you a photo. I may however have just located the tools I need!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...