UKC

Recommend me padded liners for medically sensitive bits

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Hooper 24 Mar 2012
Recently had a large operation around the bum region which has left me with scars,some loss of tissue and permanent pain. I've just got back on my bike for shortish distances which doesn't seem to aggrevate the pain level which is already there luckily.

Can anyone recommend me the best padded and most protective comfortable liners out there,money no object. Would it be Assos or something like that or am I just paying for the name?

Also I now have a colostomy,so would I be right in thinking that a bib short may be more suitable than a short with an elasticated waistband as it won't press on my stoma so much,or do bib shorts also have elasticated waistband?

Obviously I will also be asking these questions at my helpful LBS,but. It's Saturday night and I'm eager to plan my biking again

Cheers

David
 andy 24 Mar 2012
In reply to David Hooper: Whilst you get better and worse pads, for a sensitive bum would you not be better looking at saddles? Assos are brilliant shorts, but their pads aren't really any thicker than any other decent shorts.

And bibs sound just the job - no waistband to constrict you.
 Horse 24 Mar 2012
In reply to David Hooper:

Good to hear you are back on a bike. No elastic in bib shorts but you can get pretty hot wearing them under baggies. Maybe what you really need is one of these to help take out the hits

http://tinyurl.com/7vmlp8o
 andy 24 Mar 2012
In reply to Horse: Or one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/7mj73oo
OP David Hooper 24 Mar 2012
In reply to Horse: oh gosh!!! I think I need to go and relieve myself
 Horse 24 Mar 2012

Sorry we are drifting off topic but when you have a few minutes you might like to read this:

http://2flat.net/2012/03/07/orange-bikes/
OP David Hooper 24 Mar 2012
In reply to Horse: Thankyou - I've quickly skimmed and what a stunning piece of journalistic journeying. From mountainbikes via the political lyricism of Gill Scott Heron to the decline of Western manufacturing. Superb stuff.

Hi David,

I saw a cool blue "Orange" bike parked up on one of our Dartmoor trails yesterday and thought of you

With regard to the OP not really sure but is it worth looking at some of the female specific saddles that have more of a...how should I say...slot!

Best wishes
Sam
 TimB 25 Mar 2012
In reply to La Shamster:

I'm not sure that female specific saddles would work. The cutout size may be bigger, but better saddles are supposedly designed for sitbone (pelvis) shapes. Cutouts are there to reduce pressure on the perineum.

It all depends where David's sensitive areas are. If he's scar-free right under the sit bones then a correctly-sized harder and narrower saddle in the correct width could be the best, something like the Specialized Body Geometry saddles, Fizik or Selle Italia.

If those don't stay out of the way enougth then the SMP saddles have a big cutout and droopy nose - look odd but some people love them. There are even a couple of nose-free designs like the ISM saddles http://www.ismseat.com/

However if he's tender all over then the short-term solution is either going to be the biggest, softest gel-stuffed touring saddle available, or to do like this guy: http://www.bigringriding.com/post/1534011253/ouch

Good luck!

PS Forgot to mention - liners and baggy shorts are never going to be as comfortable as good lycra shorts on their own. Assos and Castelli seem to be the best expensive options but I've seen good comments about Shutt and DHB as well (haven't tried them myself).
 Bean Head 25 Mar 2012

Might be an idea to double up your shorts. Or maybe wear padded liners under your bibs. It'll probably get a bit warm now the weather's getting better, but it's better to have the padding in the shorts rather than a squidgy saddle.

As said above; bibs are definitely the way to go for comfort around the waist.

Rob
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 25 Mar 2012
In reply to David Hooper: Dave

Can you manufacturer yourself something out of that memory form, the sort you get in medical mattress and chairs. Just a thought.

Mark
OP David Hooper 25 Mar 2012
In reply to David Hooper: thanks for all the advice folks.
Not an intended outcome for this thread,but it's intensified my desire for an orange 5 .

@ mark - the memory foam idea might be worth playing around with for sure,thanks.

PS Think I will phone LIVESTRONG, Lance Armstrongs Cancer Foundation in USA. If anyone would know about managing the collateral damage from a cancer op and getting back in the saddle,they should.

Cheers

David
 Nicola 25 Mar 2012

If you want, I can get you info on products and suppliers of memory foam and pressure relieving gels used in medical pressure distributing cushions. I also know a company who might be able to make a customised saddle.
 AlisonSmiles 25 Mar 2012
In reply to David Hooper: I'll see if our paracycling squad have any suggestions to offer. I believe at least one has to make allowances for this kind of thing.
MarkM 25 Mar 2012
If you end up going with 'regular' shorts then Assos are by far the most comfortable shorts I've worn (worth the expense) - and yes am sure bib shorts are the way forward

Cheers
Mark
 blurty 25 Mar 2012
In reply to MarkM:
> (In reply to David Hooper)
> If you end up going with 'regular' shorts then Assos are by far the most comfortable shorts I've worn (worth the expense) - and yes am sure bib shorts are the way forward
>
> Cheers
> Mark

Another vote for Assos from me

Glad to hear you're getting active again David
OP David Hooper 26 Mar 2012

Thankyou for all the helpful replies and info folks.

I will definately track down some Assos bibs to have a fondle of.

Also I used to happily ride a hardtail, but Im presuming that changing over (notice I didnt say upgrading) to a full susser would give my bum less of a pounding? No double entendres please
In reply to Nicola: Hi Nicola

Thanks for your kind offer, I will email you my details if thats OK
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

Hi Alison

Thanks for your offer. I would definately be interested in talking to you and/or your teammates about this.

If its OK with you I will email you my contact details.

Thankyou

David
 LastBoyScout 26 Mar 2012

My Endura FS260 Pro bib knickers have some pretty substantial padding in them - might be worth a look:

http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?dept_id=128&prod_id=63
 MHutch 26 Mar 2012

I would have thought that some form of full suss would be helpful, if it's in your budget. Definitely less bum-poundy. Perhaps you could hook up with a test/hire ride at one of the trail centres - then you'd know for sure how bouncy you need to go without compromising your uphill riding.
MarkM 26 Mar 2012
Not sure you need will need much convincing about the merits of full sus v hardtail - enough clues being in the names! But yes you will notice much more of a difference thnt with 'more padded' shorts.. once tried there's no going back!
cheers
Mark
 balmybaldwin 26 Mar 2012

Another option would be to look at a suspension seatpost to take the worst hits if you don't want to go all the way to a full sus.

Also consider liner pants (probably with the elastic deliberately snipped or stretched unitl it breaks) under a normal pair of bib shorts for added cushion e.g. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-pro-padded-undershorts/

I noticed these the other day - haven't tried them but might be worth a punt at just over a fiver:

http://www.shinybikes.com/bio-racer-reskin-anti-friction-saddle-patch.html

Frank4short 26 Mar 2012
In reply to David Hooper: Possibly a cheaper solution to buying a new bike/frame would be to invest in a suspension seatpost that'll specifically isolate the saddle. Something like maybe a cane creek thudbuster http://www.canecreek.com/component-seatposts
 balmybaldwin 26 Mar 2012
In reply to MarkM:
> Not sure you need will need much convincing about the merits of full sus v hardtail - enough clues being in the names! But yes you will notice much more of a difference thnt with 'more padded' shorts.. once tried there's no going back!
> cheers
> Mark

You say that, but I'm about to change back from a full bouncer to a nice light and responsive hard tail for general cross country riding.

Rigid Raider 26 Mar 2012
My Dad had a colostomy so I think I understand the problem. Bib shorts are definitely the answer for the stoma, have a look at dhb shorts on Wiggle, they are very comfortable and excellent value for money. Their higher-priced shorts have a very thick polymer pad though, which I wouldn't recommend - see below.

With regard to the saddle (and the padding in the shorts) paradoxically you don't want to be going squishy; you need to find a well-shaped saddle, which allows the majority of your weight to be taken on the sit bones of your pelvis. A heavily padded saddle or shorts will allow you to sink into the surface and will transfer weight to the tender parts, as well as chafing you. It may feel less comfortable at the beginning but you will soon become accustomed to it. My recommendation would be a Charge Spoon, this is an increasingly popular saddle with a good cupped shape and the perfect amount of padding as well as being quite affordable and nice looking. The classic Selle Italia Flite is also a very popular saddle and second hand examples sell for good money.

Obviously you can go on trying and rejecting saddles until the cows come home if you don't get saddle height, position on the rails and nose-tail posture right these are another subject altogether and I would recommend that as part of your return to cycling you treat yourself to a professional bike fit session with a recognised expert. Paul Hewitt in Leyland is excellent if you live in the NW.
Maurice52 27 Mar 2012
In reply to Nicola:
>
> I can get you info on products and suppliers of memory foam and pressure relieving gels used in medical pressure distributing cushions. I also know a company who might be able to make a customised saddle.

Have emailed you

Maurice

OP David Hooper 03 Apr 2012
In reply to David Hooper: Thanks for all the replies (and the private emails) folks.

Idefinately cannot afford a full sus for a while so Im going to try some Assos bibs - Evans cycles in Liverpool said they will match and internet price and the cheapest Ive seen them for is £114 + £5 p&p - so approx £120 when they usually go for £150 - 160.

Also going to purchase a Cane Creek Thudbuster LT for my hardtail and a friend reckons he can get this at trade for me.

Ill repost and let you all know how I get on - thanks again for the imput and help
 graeme jackson 03 Apr 2012
I'd go for something like this, maybe covered in an inch or two of foam rubber....
http://www.laptop-ergonomics.com/images/Old-Tractor-Seat.jpg
 Dom Brown 03 Apr 2012

> Idefinately cannot afford a full sus for a while

HI David, Off topic sort of. I have a 2007 scott Genius dual sus hydraulic brakes bike I'm trying to get rid of. I don't know the exact frame size but I'm around 5'9 and its maybe a little tall for me. it's in pretty good nick barely ridden could probably do with a decent service. let me know if you're interested, and I can get you some more detail. I think I still have the original paperwork indoors as well.
MarkM 03 Apr 2012
Hi David

which Assos shorts are you going for? They're all quality products but some are designed for extra 'long distance' comfort which might be particularly suited (FI Mille I think). Also to note that they come in regular and long leg -- might be worth considering the long leg for year round mtb use (I use this for road and off-road and it seems more standard than long to me)

Cheers
Mark
 Horse 03 Apr 2012

Depending on which type of Assos you are looking at you might be able to beat that price, see:

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/assos-m1#c50:sort3
In reply to MarkM: Got the F1 Mills today. My partner who isn't vaguely interested in cycle shorts was even impressed with the design and quality. Can tell the difference straight away compared to my old Enduras.Got the regular as that was all they had in stock.bit shorter than myendura but that is fine. Just cannot get over how good they feel.
In reply to DB1: thanksbut no thanks - when I do get a full sus, ill be building up my dream bike from scratch
 Dom Brown 03 Apr 2012
In reply to David Hooper: that's cool, good for you.
MarkM 03 Apr 2012
Yep.. they ooze quality even down to the packaging - am sure they'll do the job on the bike - extra incentive not to come off too!
OP David Hooper 08 Apr 2012

Went for 10k ride in new bib and they definately make a difference .

Just waiting on seatpost now. Thanks for all the good advice folks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...