UKC

easiest lake district scramble

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 24 Apr 2012
As the above says please, what is the easiest??? Preferably one that doesn't involve a massive walk in.

Trying to get the missus into a bit of scrambling.

Any suggestions??? Pavey Ark with Jake's Rake and Helvellyn spring to mind. Anyone got any better suggestions???

AT
 GrahamD 24 Apr 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Helvelyn Striding edge is an obvious one. Then Sharp edge. For a really easy one look at a traverse of Crinkle crags (clockwise from Langdale) with only one 'bad step'
 Monk 24 Apr 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

It depends on how tame you want, and how escapable? Sometimes escapable is a bad thing as it gives a get out clause.

For very easy scrambles, I love things like Crinkle Crags, Swirral Edge, Pike of Stickle, Pike O'Blisco, Angle tarn pikes and Harter fell (Duddon), although my favourite is probably Hall's Fell on Blencathra. I think that they are all capable of offering a gentle introduction, and the opportunity for a little bit of harder fun.

Striding edge, Sharp edge and Jack's Rake are also excellent, but do have moments that require commitment and can terrify the timid.
 UKC Forums 24 Apr 2012
This thread was started in the ROCK DESTINATIONS forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

HILLTALK - A general forum for topics relating to hillwalking. Discuss walks you have been on, great scrambles, the best ridges, Munro-bagging and longer multi-day walks.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 lithos 24 Apr 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

i think Jacks Rake maybe a bit out there for what you need,

striding/swirrral are obvious targets. Did a good Gill scramble where difficulties are avoidable and very close to road the other week. Angle tarn Gill in Patterdale
 sheep 24 Apr 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Cam Crag Ridge, in Langstrath ?

Difficulties can be included or avoided as required.
 EeeByGum 24 Apr 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: My wife found some of the slab moves at the top of Jakes Rake pretty intimidating. Why not just take her out for a jolly good ramble and enjoy it for what it is.

I have generally found that getting WAGs to participate in things I love ends up in disaster.
OP AdCo82 24 Apr 2012
In reply to EeeByGum:

She has done some "rambles" and said she would fancy an easy scramble.

Everyone else, thanks for the ideas and info.

AT
J1234 24 Apr 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:
Cams Crag Ridge, which could be combined with a circular walk from Borrowdale.
 Jenny C 24 Apr 2012
If she is unfamiliar with climbing/scrambling I would say that Cam Crag Ridge feels far less exposed than Jacks Rake.
 Ramblin dave 24 Apr 2012
In reply to EeeByGum:
> (In reply to An Triubhas) My wife found some of the slab moves at the top of Jakes Rake pretty intimidating. Why not just take her out for a jolly good ramble and enjoy it for what it is.

Hum... I'm normally cautious to excess, but I'd generally say that if you're in reasonable shape and don't enjoy Jack's Rake (at least as type II fun) then you basically don't like scrambling.

Although tbf I've never heard of Jake's Rake so that could be a different proposition entirely.
J1234 24 Apr 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:
Another one wiyh a very short walk to it followed with a beautiful low level walk that can take in a Tea Rooms is Raven Crag, Yewdale
 Simon Caldwell 24 Apr 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:
Definitely not Jack's Rake.
Cam Crag Ridge is OK, but certainly not the easiest, and slippery if at all wet.
Of earlier suggestions I'd say Striding Edge or the Angle Tarn gill are good ideas.
Or how about Halls Fell Ridge on Blencathra? About grade 0.5
 dan bulman 24 Apr 2012
anothere vote for halls fell. difficulties can be avoided and its a nice surprise to top out right at the summit.
 cezza 24 Apr 2012
Pinnacle Ridge, but avoid the 'Pinnacle'. A couple of the other steep sections can be bypassed as well. Gentle walk in. Nice walk back.
 Lankyman 24 Apr 2012
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to An Triubhas)
> Of earlier suggestions I'd say Striding Edge or the Angle Tarn gill are good ideas.

You have to be careful with Striding Edge - I've been over with strong walkers and seen them almost rooted to the spot with fear by the exposure and the whole atmosphere of the place. The little chimney down at the far end seems to be a problematic spot too. My suggestion would be to look around for short, easy-looking rocky outcrops that you can encounter all over the place. 'Scramble-bouldering'/scrouldering - have I invented something? I'll get a guidebook out and make zillions ......
 Stone Idle 24 Apr 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: The lovely Mrs G managed Jacks Rake no bother - it is mostly in a trough and so, with exception of one bit, is not that exposed - until you get to the top of the Rake and move round to the finishing wall. She needed a rope on that bit.
In reply to An Triubhas:

Nitting Haws in Borrowdale? short walk in, not too committing, one awkward step as far as I recall.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...