UKC

Rest time before an event to ensure best performance?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave 88 25 Apr 2012
I have an event coming up soon, not too taxing but I want to ensure my absolute best performance. Can anyone tell me the optimum number of days to rest before hand, to ensure full rest but not decline in fitness?

I understand this will vary from person to person. I've heard and had personal experience of anything from 1 day to 1 month seemingly providing good results so I'm a bit in the dark.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave.
 alicia 25 Apr 2012
In reply to Dave 88:

There isn't really a black and white answer like you want. It depends on how hard you've been training, how long the event is, your general state of fitness...

Good luck with the event though!
OP Dave 88 25 Apr 2012
In reply to alicia:

Yeah sorry, I was intentionally vague. It's actually a fitness test as part of a job application, hence not wanting to be too open about what it is!

It's basically a short run, followed by some push, pull, sit ups.

I've been training 4 times a week by running the test twice, back to back, to faster times than required to pass. So the training sessions are quite intense, but concentrated in a relatively short time....as well as climbing of course!

Generally pretty fit, bit more so now with the extra training.

Thank you!
OP Dave 88 27 Apr 2012
In reply to Dave 88:

Any ideas, with the extra info, anyone?
 dingbat46 27 Apr 2012
In reply to Dave 88:

I'm assuming its some sort of PFA for the forces. Personally i'd have a days rest before, nothing more. If it is what I think then it's only a mile and a half...
 Banned User 77 27 Apr 2012
In reply to dingbat46: I'd go with that.. at most.. its hardly going to be overly exerting and he isn't doing that much training that he'll be leggy.
OP Dave 88 27 Apr 2012
In reply to dingbat46:

Might be! Yeah it's hardly a marathon, and I'm well below the time needed, just wanted to give myself the best possible chance. Don't fancy having to start the process from scratch.

Thanks for the advice all, I'll give it a day or two.
In reply to Dave 88: Watch those knees you! Good luck.
OP Dave 88 27 Apr 2012
In reply to Double Knee Bar:

Been stretching the bloody things every day! Shame about the weather, was gonna give you a shout for climbing this weekend. I've lost faith in the Tremadog magic!
OP Dave 88 27 Apr 2012
In reply to Dave 88:

*Tremmor-Dog
In reply to Dave 88: Hahaha... TreeMudRock is magic! Keep the faith.
 dingbat46 27 Apr 2012
In reply to Dave 88:

Definitly just rest the day before, you'll hardly notice you've done the test to be honest. They are normally over in less than 30 minutes, and when you realise you can pass them whilst hungover you realise there is little point in worrying.

Just a point to note, if it is a standard PFA they normally do the press ups / situps first then the run. Is it an AOSB board?

Feel free to message me offline if you want any more info.
OP Dave 88 27 Apr 2012
In reply to dingbat46:

Cheers mate, yhm.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...