UKC

Winter Conditions on Ben Nevis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 murilolessa 17 May 2012
Is there still ice/snow left for decent climb? Just wondering... Thanks for any feedback.
 AlH 17 May 2012
In reply to mglessa: Last weekend there was plenty of snow about and Comb Gully as reported as full of something white but ice or soft snow no-one went to look. There was a bit of ice at the base of Glovers. Since then we've had plenty of precipitation falling as rain lower down and snow higher up. The freezing level has been yo-yoing a bit but generally well below the tops.
Sp there is certainly snow but what state its in I don't know.
 Ron Walker 17 May 2012
In reply to mglessa:

Apparently there's blue ice under the snow on the track above 1,000 metres with the snow depth level with the summit trig point and refuge!
 Aaron.robson94 19 May 2012
In reply to mglessa: anybody got more recent info of the conditions?
 peebles boy 20 May 2012
In reply to Aaron.robson94:

was up there today. everything is starting to fall down - all the major gully lines are complete but threatened by falls/slides from above (backed out of number 2 after watching 3 big slides from bpth walls and TV sized ice chunks coming down when I stopped for a bite to eat halfway up). there was a major collapse somewhere in trident area. someone had a shot at point five by all accounts, but the last i heard on the way back down from folks at the CIC was that the chopper flying about was effecting rescue of a faller in point five...
new snow is very wet and deep in places, knee deep trudging when off the beaten track. there's still some largish cornices waiting to fall down as the temperature rockets tomorrow.

i think that THIS is definately the end of the winter season now!!!!! though i said that a month ago....

AlH 20 May 2012
 Milesy 20 May 2012
Heard a lot of stuff falling down in Sneachda and Lochain today.
 Antibac 23 May 2012
In reply to mglessa: West Coast Mountain Guides have some pictures of recent conditions on their blog:

http://blog.westcoast-mountainguides.co.uk/?p=4670

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...