UKC

Winter Conditions in Morocco

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
daveoc 22 Jun 2012
Well,

Is there any winter climbing in Morocco either just after Christmas or at Easter (round april next year i think)? If there is, brilliant, what type of climbing etc would it be?

If not would there be rock climbing at easter? Mad to go to morocco and see what the hills are like.. Any advise is welcome. Cheers
mountain monster 22 Jun 2012
In reply to daveoc:
I was in the High Atlas this Easter. Above 3500M it was still winter. Although I didn't do it, but there seemed to be many opportunities for ice climbing. Although I only saw relatively short routes I'm sure that there was a lot of mixed climbing. On Toubkal I was caught up in a white out that left the snow all the way down to the valley. So yes you could find winter conditions in April..... but these things can't be guaranteed.
 victorclimber 22 Jun 2012
In reply to daveoc: think you would be ok,lots to go at possibly deep snow to get around in ..
 Caralynh 22 Jun 2012
In reply to daveoc:

Errm yes. Lots. And skiing. I went to the Atlas in January a couple of years ago. We had good conditions climbing Toubkal (there are various routes from F to D and probably above) and the next day, waist deep snow at the hut that meant we didn't do what we planned, but had a fun snowy day. Naturally the day we went down the conditions were perfect again!
As for what type of climbing, well, Toubkal can be a snow plod or a mixed route. We were going to do a nice ice gully the next day, and there are little icefalls in various places as well. Cicerone have a good guidebook for the area with colour photo topos.
sphagnum 23 Jun 2012
In reply to daveoc:

maybe more likely to get consolidation in the coulouirs in april, but the snow line fluctuates fast
there are long apline routes many likely to have little ice so lots of drytooling
practically only two valleys that see traffic in winter, the rest is desolate and there for your perusal
you probably want touring skis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...