UKC

Moving to the Peaks, Instructor working possibilities?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr.Ric 05 Jul 2012
Hello! I'd be interested to hear other people’s thoughts on the following, especially if you've done similar!!!

I'm currently working in the South (as an activity instructor) and looking to move up to the Peaks so that I actually live close enough to my girlfriend to see her once in a while! Not to mention that I absolutely love climbing so very very happy at the prospect of living in the Peaks. Unfortunately I can't move till November due to current work commitments. So my concern is probably obvious now; is there much work going over the winter, will I end up packing bags at Tesco’s (no offence to anyone working at Tesco’s, I'm sure it's lovely, just not quite what I'm looking for) I've got my WML, SPA, Level 2 paddling with the moderate waters, PCV etc but still working on the MIA unfortunately.

Obviously I'm making calls and emailing centres but I thought this could be a good place hear from anyone who's done similar! Is this a crazy move? Should I just take a winter season job in the Alps etc and then try for the Peaks when the new season starts?

Cheers for any insight!
 fred99 05 Jul 2012
In reply to Mr.Ric:

Never heard of the Peaks ?
However I have heard of the Peak.
 JayPee630 05 Jul 2012
In reply to Mr.Ric:

I worked at a centre in the Peak for 3 summer seasons, and then have no work in the winters (Oct-Mar) generally, and I think that's how it generally goes IME.

It might be possible to scrape enough though if you're lucky and have low living costs/have saved a bit, especially if you maybe nip to Scotland for a month and try and get some work there with your WML. Might also be worth looking at the Sheffield (and other) climbing walls as obviously they work all year.

Once you have done a summer in the Peak and have got to know more people you might have a better chance of picking up work to get you through the next winter.

It's a great place to live! Good luck!
OP Mr.Ric 05 Jul 2012
In reply to fred99:
> (In reply to Mr.Ric)
>
> Never heard of the Peaks ?
> However I have heard of the Peak.

Thanks for that one! At least that error was made with a little anonymity.
OP Mr.Ric 05 Jul 2012
In reply to JayPee630:

> It's a great place to live! Good luck!

Thanks! That's pretty much what I was expecting.
lanky_suction1 05 Jul 2012
In reply to Mr.Ric:

I would agree, the climbing walls are probably the best place to look over the winter, although there is obviously a lot of competition for note very well paid work.

it is a lovely place to live though.

Good luck.
 ozbaker 05 Jul 2012
In reply to Mr.Ric:
Hi, Send your c.v. into Peak Pursuits when you do make the move.
Unlikely to have much going October-May but May/June-Sept/Oct 2013 we will probably have plenty!

Oz.
OP Mr.Ric 08 Jul 2012
In reply to ozbaker:

Cheers! I'll be sure to do that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...