UKC

Wales at the weekend - Trip Report!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tim, the Grey one. 25 Oct 2001
It's a bit long, but it was written by committee!

Saturday dawned, dull, grey and overcast, following a night of heavyish rain.
Distinctly unpromising stuff. Over breakfast, looking at the summit of Snowdon, wearing a fetching mantle of fast moving clouds, we discussed the options. It was FAR too wet for climbing, so we'd head up Tryfan, and on to the Glyders
It was very Welsh rain – an unpleasantly intrusive moistness, with a cloudbase about 300 feet higher than the road. It seemed likely to be a distinctly unpromising day. Heading up Heather Terrace the rain had stopped but the dank, foggy gloom seemed set in for the duration.
The summit was damp, unpleasant and infested with children. 1.00PM and I had the kettle on, next to a very slippery Adam & Eve, where a school party (and one apparently intelligent adult) were being incredibly, bravely, stupid.
Thick cloud, but at least it's not raining. In the absence of a view, we admired the fog, then ambled off towards Glyder Fach. The path quickly became a scramble, entertaining and interesting (!?) by turns, punctuated by muffled cursing and the disconcerting slither of wet Vibram on polished rock.
I like ‘UP’, said my companion, as more ‘UP’ appeared, whilst we passed some curious goats, of all things. We were not lost but, navigating by the polish and the general principle of “up is good”, we found ourselves temporarily mislaid. Bearings were taken on various lumps dimly visible through the mist, but proved inconclusive. Whilst trying to work out our exact location, the cloud started to break. To our left, the sun, hiding behind thin cloud, was framed by the ‘crown’ of Glyder Fach.
And then, suddenly, the mist completely disappeared. In the space of just a few minutes, the view went from zero to panorama.
As we sat, in solitary splendour, admiring OUR kingdom, no words were needed.
Mars bars, sandwiches, and coffee gone, we headed for Glyder Fawr, our last ‘target’ for the day. As we topped out, our jaws dropped. We gaped and marvelled, awestruck. Anglesey smiled back at us. The sea glittered in the late afternoon sun, the Mountains of Mourne were clear on the horizon. Shapes in the distance were tentatively identified as the Isle of Man, and Scotland. As the sun slowly set, it painted the sky in glorious red and the lakes in delicate purple. The hills of the Lleyn peninsular formed dark, humpbacked shapes, surrounded by golden mist, while those around us were alive with colour, an earthly paradise. Suddenly we understood what the great outdoors really meant.
The light slowly faded as we made our way down from Glyder Fawr and the headtorches had come out as we started the descent to Llyn Idwal. The lake, quiet and still, sharply defined by the encircling mountains, reflected the beautifully clear sky, now filled with cosmic splendour. The path petered out underfoot, and we moved now over lush wet vegetation.
Some time later we began to be concerned. The path was still conspicuous by its absence, the lake was getting no nearer, and it was getting late. Worse still, the ground was now varying from the very boggy to the ankle-deep in water. Thoughts of a minor epic rose to mind, followed closely by the horrid prospect of a bivvy shared with each other’s feet. And the ground was getting ever wetter. Then the truth dawned. Llyn Idwal, its true position distorted by the shadow of the mountains, was not so far away after all.
We were standing in it.
From there a gentle trot along the made-up path led back to the road, and thence, via a lift from a guy with a strange interest in night navigation, to the car.
We drove into Llanberis, to the chippy, and back to the campsite. Later we sank onto a bench in the pub and grinned ear-to-ear over our pints. Words were superfluous and the sunset stayed in our minds, an excellent memory of an utterly inspiring day.

Tim, the Grey, & WingNut
Porky 25 Oct 2001
In reply to Tim, the Grey one.:

Superb mate, hope its that good this weekend
Trog 25 Oct 2001

Hmm, this sounds glorious! Well except for the feet bit. Felt like i was there. Just looking - is this site for walkers too? You're trip sounded great fun. I have a penchant for Mars bars too especially when earnt although the last time i was up Snowdon, i was one of a similar kid infestation. I'm inspired. Thanks.
Tim, the Grey one. 25 Oct 2001
In reply to Trog: Well, we went up, to go climbing. But the crap weather put paid to any vertical ambitions.
Instead, we ended up with an, at times, terrifying gully scramble, on Glyder Fawr. So it kind of fits.
We just wanted to share the day, is all!

Tim, the Grey
tony 25 Oct 2001
Hugely jealous. It always pours with rain when I go to Wales, and never clears up. I know the feeling tho', and it doesn't get a lot better.
wingnut 25 Oct 2001
In reply to Trog:
. . . and we did get to go climbing on the Sunday . . .

Trog 25 Oct 2001
In reply to wingnut:

That's great! You don't want to be beaten by a bit of drizzle. I've just been looking at the profiles - did you have to fight the lovely Tim for the Mars bars?

Tim - sorry to have just mailed my reply wrongly. Here 'tis again.
Yeah i guess the impromptu things in life can often be the
best. Sounds great fun though. I will try and get a few of
my girly friends to pack their hair brushes and retrace
your steps with me - at least the more horizontal ones. Any
goats you want me to say hi to?
Lucy (at home) 25 Oct 2001
In reply to Trog:
LOL! Why do you particularly want to take horizontal girls Trog?
Trog 25 Oct 2001
In reply to Lucy (at home):

Ho hum i see i need my wits about me on here! I guess if they are already horizontal then i would only have had to put up with them whining once when they hit the ground on the first wet leaf. Unlike me who is hard as nails of course - not! I don't know how other women find it but feline friends tend not to be up for this sort of thing.
Lucy (at home) 25 Oct 2001
In reply to Trog:
This website is busting at the seams with hard as nails girls that would strike fear into the hearts of most hardy mountaineers. Well Jo actually. And Jenny when she is about (where did she go? )The rest of us just pretend.
wingnut 25 Oct 2001
In reply to Trog:
>>did you have to fight the lovely Tim for the Mars bars?

Yep - his profile pic's what he looked like *before* the savage beating with a trekking pole and subsequent plastic surgery

Trog 25 Oct 2001
In reply to wingnut:

Oh you're so funny, and call yourself a friend?! I meant the references to BBQs and wine (nothing wrong there). The picture is cute what do you mean? I note there isn't one of you. A case of the kettle calling the pot eh? (A "Northerners" saying - that will upset that other chap)
wingnut 25 Oct 2001
In reply to Trog:
Friend, never! A tricam, maybe, but one must have some standards!
Sadly my posting a profile would involve a change of jobs (to somewhere with a different network setup) but in the mean time think Dumbo the Elephant and you'll get some idea of the ears.
And, indeed, the climbing ability

Keith_D 25 Oct 2001
Likewise. Too wet on the Saturday and nobody but me fancied a climb so we walked the Snowdon Horseshoe. Pen-y-pass carpark full so we had to park down the road and walk up the hill. Quite wet and very little visibility, made for an interesting stroll along the ridge top. Half our party turned off and descended to the Pyg track while the two of us remaining went to the top and strolled back down the Pyg track. Halfway down the cloud suddenly cleared, shame I was most of the way down at that point.
Sunday was lost due to various people not being able to get up on time.
Trog 25 Oct 2001
In reply to wingnut:

Do you pack a mean trunk too?! Sorry couldn't resist. It's a good job we don't live in a fickle world. I'm sure your ears are very elegant. You wouldn't want to be without them now would you?
Trog 25 Oct 2001
In reply to wingnut:

Sorry that was NELLY the elephant wasn't it?!!
Tim, in hospital, recovering 25 Oct 2001
In reply to wingnut: It's a good job I like camping.
I just hadn't figured on 3 weeks in an oxygen tent....
Tim, the Grey
Tim, the Grey one... 25 Oct 2001
In reply to Keith_D: It was worth every second of that slog up. And the slog back down!
I don't know how long we stood there, speechless. It seemed like HOURS!
Just tell 'em what they MIST!!!
*GIGGLE*

Tim, the Grey.
P.S. Wingnut does NOT resemble an elephant. More like an aircraft, with the airbrakes extended....
wingnut 25 Oct 2001
In reply to Trog:
They make excellent parachutes. Don't they, Tim? Here, have a grape.

Rob 25 Oct 2001
Awoke Saturday morning to the sound of heavy rain hitting the roof of the bunkless bunkhouse. Obviously a situation requiring serious contemplation, a leisurely breakfast in the Pinnacle caff seemed in order. On cue, as we finished eating, it stopped raining. Being made made of sterner stuff that Tim and his companions (or lacking sufficient intelligence to assess the odds), we decided to go climbing. An easy approachable, roadside crag would have been the sensible option - we went to Lliwedd.

Slanting Buttress, a 700' diff was the choice, possible in all but the most adverse conditions, says the guidebook. The first couple of pitches were an easy amble, but since it was already three in the afternoon, we made haste. But not that much haste, since the rock was damp, and every stance oozed mud. This being Lliwedd, we were soon off route, the diff became a severe and then it got dark.

At this point in the story our adventurers would normally dive into their packs, pull out their headtorches, and enjoy a nightime ascent. This was true, but only in two out of the three cases. I'm sure that there is an accepted method for a rope of three to make safe progress using just two torches, but I'm damned if we could remember it. The guy in the middle just had to climb the last two pitches by feel along, judging by the expletives and the pull on the rope, not an experience he wishes to repeat for a while.

We summitted at nine o'clock, tired, irritable, hungry and thirsty, but filled with an enormous sense of relief and achievement. The walk back down was under a cloudless sky, a magical way to end a very long day. This was soon dampened by the realisation that we wouldn't make it down in time for last orders or the chippy. We reached the car at the Pen-y-Gwyrd hotel, just as they were turning the lights out. A real character building day, as one of my companions said.
Tim, the Grey one... 25 Oct 2001
In reply to Rob: I had kinda thought of the Idwal Slabs.
But then the rain came. Sanity prevailed.
It's apity you missed the sunset, though.
It was a belter.
Glad you're all safe.

Tim, the Grey
OP Anonymous 26 Oct 2001
In reply to Lucy (at home):
biglad 26 Oct 2001
In reply to Tim, the Grey one.: We went up Bryants Gully, on Glyder Fawr from the Pass on Saturday (breakfast @ Bryn Glo)... 1700ft of wet scrambling. Grand! Then Sunday at Tramadog - glorious weather on 2 face butress.... Friday we braved the rain via Lockwoods Chimney - highly recommended for those without enough bruises!
Jo 26 Oct 2001

So wheres the traditional feet burning ceremony then Tim? Huh? huh?

Glad you had a fantastic time! U still grinning?

jo xx
wingnut 26 Oct 2001
In reply to Jo:
Nah . . . foot-burning's out of fashion. Ear-fettling is the way forward.

Jo 26 Oct 2001
In reply to wingnut:

ear fettling?

do tell Wingnut!

Jo x
wingnut 26 Oct 2001
In reply to Jo:
Fettled ears:

1 small onion, chopped
1 can chopped tomatoes
1kg snakes' ears (fresh if poss)
1 green pepper
garlic, grated newts, black pepper & oregano to taste

Mix, heat, add to pasta. Alternatively, decide can't be bothered, and get Tim to drive to the chippy

Tim, the Grey 27 Oct 2001
In reply to wingnut: You forgot the dragon spleen. Mind, it's hard to find that, since the slate mines shut down in Llanberis. The Spar doesn't stock it, you see!
I think this may explain the lack of new, hard routes, in the area. Pete's Eats just can't get the raw materials for a PROPER Welsh climbers breakfast, so Dragon Heart is off the menu.
8^(
I've been playing with my kids today, as it's half-term, so I releived the ex of 'em, until tomorrow.

How's yer wood chopping arm, Jo?
How's yer ears, for wax, WingNut?

No, don't you try to hit me with that ponytail, again....

Tim, the Grey. (with less grey since it got chopped!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...