UKC

First Half Marathon advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Carpe Diem 08 Aug 2012
I've bit the bullet and have my first half this Sunday.I have a few questions some of you seasoned runners may be able to answer:

1: Keeping everything' lubed' in the undercarriage dept: Should I just apply some Vaseline to the bits in question? ( normally run in lycra type shorts and briefs - should I go commando and stick with just the shorts and lube?

2:What would be a good breakfast & how long before the race should I eat?

3.Rainy forcaast: Just wear vest & shorts or a longger sleeved top?

4:Nutrition during the race?

5: What distance to run on Fri ( 48hrs before race )

I know I'm gonna get a few 'Special' answers here,but hopefully some solid advice too.

Thanks
 ollieollie 08 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem: tape over your nipples, i really really regreted forgetting to do this
Removed User 08 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem:
> I've bit the bullet and have my first half this Sunday.I have a few questions some of you seasoned runners may be able to answer:
>
> 1: Keeping everything' lubed' in the undercarriage dept: Should I just apply some Vaseline to the bits in question? ( normally run in lycra type shorts and briefs - should I go commando and stick with just the shorts and lube?
>

Lubrication? Do what you've been doing in training.

> 2:What would be a good breakfast & how long before the race should I eat?

What do you normally do during training? I wouldn't anything for an hour and a half before running but neck a bottle of Lucozade in the last half hour before the start.

>
> 3.Rainy forcaast: Just wear vest & shorts or a longger sleeved top?
>

I've got a lightweight waterproof jacket I use with a vest when it's raining but if it's warm then you'd probably just want to run in a vest.

> 4:Nutrition during the race?
>

I wouldn't have thought you'd have needed any.

> 5: What distance to run on Fri ( 48hrs before race )
>

4 miles?

roberto18 08 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem:
Ok so I am going to tell you what I do before a long race so you don't have to follow it but it may help.

I don't usually lube up but the nipples may be advisable if its a hot day.

Go for a high carb breakfast, I go for weetabix or porridge. But don't eat too much.

Def go for vest and shorts it will be hot.

For a half marathon I drink an isotonic drink about an hour before mixed with 300mg of caffeine. Send me a message if you want to know more. Then a couple of gels during the race as I don't like to take on solid food.

On the Friday go for a slow 20-30 min run with some race pace efforts.

Try not to over complicate things as you will stop focusing on the race in hand. Just go out and enjoy the experience.
 NathanP 08 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem:

I think what works is quite a personal thing and most of those answering will be much more experienced than me but, as somebody whose first half is recent enough to remember, this is what I've found works for me:

I wouldn't bother with the Vaseline. Just keep with what you normally run in - (non-cotton) briefs and Lycra shorts are also what I've found best.

For breakfast, keep to what you are used to, not too much, plenty of slow release calories and eat it early, a couple of hours before the race. Personally I favour a sausage and mushroom sandwich on chunky granary bread but that might not suit everybody.

Unless it is cold and windy or you are really slow, if your metabolism is anything like mine you'll be hot so a close fitting short sleeved sport T-shirt should be fine. Maybe a peaked cap but they can easily be too hot.

For during the race, don't eat anything you've not tried on lon training runs. I find a couple of gels at around 5 and 10 miles helps.

Shortish run 48 hrs before. 4 miles or so and not too fast.
 The New NickB 08 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem:

What sort of pace are you hoping to run it in? It has a small influence on some of the answers.

Eat a light breakfast at least two hours before, but make sure it is something yu are used to.

Unless you are planning on going really slow wear a vest.

I don't eat anything during a half, you shouldn't need anything. Now certainly isn't the time to start experimenting with gels.

Just run a slow three or four miles on Friday.
Carpe Diem 08 Aug 2012
In reply all:

Some really really good advice!!

The New NickB: I'm hoping to finish in about 2:15, normally run about 10kmh when on 10k training runs, so quietly confident I can keep that pace to the end.

Training wise,I've not run over 15K ?
 Ava Adore 08 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem:

I think in general the advice is to not do anything you don't normally do. For 13 miles you shouldn't need to eat and there will be water stations I'm sure. Why not take Friday off and be well rested before the race?
 Ali 08 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem: I think go with the general advice about what you're used to - food/hydration especially is so specific to the individual. I actually carried some istonic drink with me, but that's because it was a warm day, and I run better on long distatnces when I can sip gradually rather than stopping at water stops. I also put a couple of little squares of energy bar in my pocket which I munched at about 7 mile mark which I think helped - personally i can't stomach gels. I wouldn't take them unless you've tried in training and know they work for you!
 DancingOnRock 08 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem:

My 2p worth.

It's your first race so the advice I have:

Learn from what you do wrong this time and try to remember it for next time.

Enjoy it!

I find if it's very wet my nipples can get sore, but I just put up with it.

I'll have a banana half an hour before the start. I generally run on an empty stomach on my slow Sunday runs anyway.

Go to the loo as soon as you get to the event, queues always build quickly and there are never enough loos.

Don't drink loads before you start if you don't normally in training it'll just slosh around inside you. Make sure you grab water at every station, but just take a few gulps, don't try to drink it all, if you want a drink put your arm up and move over towards the side well before and try to make eye contact with someone handing out the water. It can be a bit of a free for all in bigger races.

Don't go out too fast. If the start has markers then find the 2h30 one and start with those people. If not ask a few runners around 2/3 of the way back from the start what time they're looking for and tell them you're not sure where to start. There will be all sorts of people don't be put off by what they're wearing or what complicated warm ups or expensive nutrition they're consuming. Most people finish around the 2hr mark

Get chatting to people around you especially at about 8-10 miles.

Pack a banana, water, jelly babies and some sort of bar in your bag for the end and leave it at the baggage area.

Enjoy it - tell us how you did.
 orejas 08 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem:
I run my first half a couple of months ag( 2:07) and had not done any traning over 8 miles. My answers agree with most of the above:
No need for vaseline if you have not needed before
Personally I would not run for 3/4 days before, especially if your knees suffer when running
I did use a gel about mile 10/11, but they taste disgusting
Def short sleeve only

Good luck and my trick was to help people keep going when they were walking and get them running again, that way you cannot stop running yourself just a few hundred yards on.
 DreadyCraig 08 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem:
I've done the Fleet half marathon twice now, I'm no expert by a long way, but I have porridge for breakfast and a banana for a snack before the race. I carry a bottle of water so I can sip small amounts of water often, my friend relied on water stations and ended up thirsty so gulped down lots of water at one of the stations and got bloated.
DEFINATELY tape/plaster your nipples.
I have started using vaseline for runs over 8-10 miles, just a smear of the delicate areas was good enough for me, I find my boxers ride up and chaffe otherwise
I don't like to eat anything during the race that I haven't used in training runs, you don't want to get the s***s halfway. I tend to have a few boiled sweets to suck, or grab some jelly babies from spectators offering them (don't forget to smile at them and say thanks)
If it's rainy this weekend I would suspect it will still be warm, I'd go for short sleeves still.

And my final tip to keep you going, find someone with a nice bum who is running at your pace and stay behind them, keeps you motivated
Good Luck!
 DreadyCraig 08 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem:
Oh yeah, one thing I did to keep my pace right, not too fast or too slow, was to work out the times for each mile depending on your expected finish time, that way you can see how you are getting on
 The New NickB 08 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem:

It will probably start getting hard at around 10 miles, just tell yourself it is just 5k to go and you can run that easy.

liz j 08 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem:
Speaking as a woman, I can't help you with your first question, but as I ran my first half a just over a week ago, I may be of help with my experiences!
Fistly, I didn't run after the wed, race was on a sunday. This was partly because I had broken my little toe, but also I knew that if it wasn't in my legs by then, a run on the friday wasn't going to help. My wed run was 4 miles at 8.5 min/mile.
I spent the day before making sure that I ate plenty of food and drank plenty.
Breakfast on the day was porridge at 6am, then we drove down to Dorset and had a cup of tea about 45 mins before the start.
Vest and shorts was perfect, and it rained.
There were eight water stations although I didn't make use of all of them to drink, plenty of water went on me though. Didn't worry about gels or sweets.
We maintained a pretty even pace throughout the race, this was important to me as my knees protest if I run too slow!!
The furthest I had run beforehand was 10 miles, so when we passed that distance, I just told myself that the rest was shorter than our 'short' training run back home.
I didn't feel up against it at any time, I relaxed into a good pace early on and made use of the scenery to take my mind off running.
I made it under the 2 hour mark by a minute, although I predicted that my finish time would be around 2.10.
You will probably surprise yourself with your time, good luck!!
 Liam M 08 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem: As with most answers, just do as you have in training.

At this time of year unless it is particularly cold a vest will be fine ( unless you normally find yourself running cold). You'll be soaked whether it's by rain or sweat!

I generally do eat during halfs, normally in the form of a few jelly babies at about 14k and 17k. It can help keep my blood sugars up, but wouldn't be critical. If you don't know how your stomach will cope it may be worth not eating.
 wbo 08 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem: The issue might be the rain. Wet clothing chafes more , so a bit of vaseline won't hurt. Now is not the time to test 'kommando stylee', normally a bad call anyway.
But yes to vaseline on the nipples, especially if it's raining.

If it's raining def. wear a vest. Britain is not cold. It will not snow, but do you want to run wearing a big soggy lump of clothing? No.

I didn't eat for 3 hours before races, but would drink a bit. I didn't eat in halfs, but would drink.

If you have a plan for pace then don't try and get splits every mile. 3,5 and 7 at the start were what I looked at.
 NathanP 08 Aug 2012
In reply to ollieollie:
> (In reply to Carpe Diem) tape over your nipples, i really really regreted forgetting to do this

+1 on tape. If it is cool or wet it can be agony after 13 miles. Close fitting tops with a soft lining help though.

I found a pace chart taped to the top of my race number very useful. A grid marked out with the mile splits for your target time and +/- 10 mins. Calculating where you are with intermediate times takes your mind off how hard you are working. Try to run steady at a slightly slow pace for the first 6-8 miles then see how you feel. It feels much nicer being able to speed up in the latter stages and sprint he last half mile than racing off at the start but walking over the line.

And good luck, enjoy the day and let us know how you did.
 steveriley 09 Aug 2012
Let the first 5 or 6 float by. It's a terrific feeling if you can gauge it so you're even paced (or even negative splits). Much better than dying later on. Enjoy it!
 ollieollie 09 Aug 2012
In reply to DreadyCraig:
> (In reply to Carpe Diem)
>
> And my final tip to keep you going, find someone with a nice bum who is running at your pace and stay behind them, keeps you motivated
> Good Luck!

I forgot about that one, good advice
 Ava Adore 09 Aug 2012
In reply to DreadyCraig:
> > >
> And my final tip to keep you going, find someone with a nice bum who is running at your pace and stay behind them, keeps you motivated
> Good Luck!

In a race earlier this year, I was behind two lads for the last mile and half or so. They were strapping lads, half my age and yes, good butts. Mind you, it was more satisfying to overtake them and stay in front
 Banned User 77 09 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem:
> I've bit the bullet and have my first half this Sunday.I have a few questions some of you seasoned runners may be able to answer:
>
> 1: Keeping everything' lubed' in the undercarriage dept: Should I just apply some Vaseline to the bits in question? ( normally run in lycra type shorts and briefs - should I go commando and stick with just the shorts and lube?
>

Go as normal.. but lube but try running shorts in future..

> 2:What would be a good breakfast & how long before the race should I eat?
>

3-4 hrs.. 2 pieces of toast, jam or peanut butter.. avoid too much milk on race day.

> 3.Rainy forcaast: Just wear vest & shorts or a longger sleeved top?
>

vest and shorts..

> 4:Nutrition during the race?
>

If you've used gels take 2 gels.. one at 30-40 mins.. one 30-40 mins later.. but food/energy drinks may be offered en route..

> 5: What distance to run on Fri ( 48hrs before race )
>
>

4 miles max.. but sharpsish.. 2 x 1 miles just off or at race pace..
> I know I'm gonna get a few 'Special' answers here,but hopefully some solid advice too.
>
> Thanks

Banned User 77 09 Aug 2012
In reply to orejas: The reason why you run is to keep sharp.. also runners bodies don't like not running.

Typically I'll rest Monday, train or bike tues weds thurs.. rest fri.. race..

But the midweek runs will contain some sharp work.. nothing too long..

I'll only rest or taper 3 maybe 4 races a year.. in fact my marathon pb of 2:42 was set at a non-target race where I ran 8 miles the day before and hadn't rested for a while..
 liz j 09 Aug 2012
In reply to IainRUK:
But then you are not the normal recreational runner either!
 DreadyCraig 10 Aug 2012
In reply to Ava Adore:
> In a race earlier this year, I was behind two lads for the last mile and half or so. They were strapping lads, half my age and yes, good butts. Mind you, it was more satisfying to overtake them and stay in front

So those lads were following you looking at your bum then?
 Ava Adore 10 Aug 2012
In reply to DreadyCraig:

Yes but I don't think they liked a girly overtaking them near the finish
 Banned User 77 10 Aug 2012
In reply to liz j:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
> But then you are not the normal recreational runner either!

carpe has two options.... Listen to 2:15 half marathoners or 1:15.... run more = run quicker ....
 DancingOnRock 10 Aug 2012
In reply to Ava Adore:

Funily enough at my last half I was running with my brother when a lady in her 80s came whizzing past.

Iain, I'm not sure if the OP has onlt done 10miles in training that he's going to be puttinig in loads of miles this weekend.

Different people run for different reasons, I run against the clock and against the field, I'm not interested in one or two places, just that I come further up the field than in the last race, percentagewise.
 liz j 10 Aug 2012
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to liz j)
> [...]
>
> carpe has two options.... Listen to 2:15 half marathoners or 1:15.... run more = run quicker ....

My reply to you was not meant in a negative sense, you are an above average runner, carpe does have options as to who to listen too, I'm sure he would rather not overdo it and get injured though. Running today in this heat is not going to have any effect on his time for sunday, in my humble opinion.
In reply to liz j: 1. Think Bigger picture... 2. I think it will.. Resting for days then running hard = injury....you constantly complain of sore knees.... I run up to 100 miles per week pain free... I built up slowly rarely rest race often but rarely target a race..
In reply to DancingOnRock:
> (In reply to Ava Adore)

> Different people run for different reasons, I run against the clock and against the field, I'm not interested in one or two places, just that I come further up the field than in the last race, percentagewise.

Same here... I just train to do that.. Too many are all talk..
 liz j 10 Aug 2012
In reply to IainRUK:
My knees are nothing to do with running, and I don't constantly complain about them either. I stand aside, obviously my experiences of my first half are not worthy, sorry.
 Trangia 10 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem:

I find vaselene in the crutch and on the insides of the bum cheeks worth doing particularly if it's a hot sweaty day.

Don't forget your moobs and put plasters over you nipples. I've rubbed mine to bleeding point in the past when I've forgotten.

If you are aiming for a respectable time rather than a simple plod round try and get well up in the field at the start. You'll find others running faster here and not get delayed by trying to dodge plodders or those who suddenly stop and walk at the first hill.

You shouldn't need nutrition during the race, just water at the water points.

If you find someone running at your pace and stride pair up with them, you can boost each other along. I've done this with total strangers, it's suprising how much it helps.
Removed User 10 Aug 2012
In reply to Trangia:
>
> I find vaselene in the crutch and on the insides of the bum cheeks worth doing particularly if it's a hot sweaty day.
>

Does it make you go any faster?

Less friction when moving legs...just a thought?
Carpe Diem 10 Aug 2012
In reply all:

Really appreciate all the sound advice above! Had a short run this eve in the Sun (4k) wanted to do more,but going to be sensible - rest and hydrate tomorrow.

Will let you all know how it goes.

Diolch yn fawr!
In reply to Carpe Diem: If over 2 hrs I'd deffo take food.. I'd have one gel when I do them, sometimes 2.. but that's sub 1:20 time.
 davegs 10 Aug 2012
Bet the OP is chuffed to bits this has turned in to a bitching competition.

Good luck with your half marathon.
 Wilbur 10 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem:

I've done a couple of halfs one bang on 2 hrs and one at 1'54 and my advice would be eat a good breakfast 2-3 hrs before the race porridge, yoghurt and a slice of toast with peanut butter. Then a banana 1 .5 hrs before. I also drink a litre of water by a few hrs before and a luc sport upto the start. Works for me!

I wear a cotton t-shirt and don't suffer from nipple rub sores...
 davegs 11 Aug 2012
In reply to Wilbur:
>
> I've done a couple of halfs one bang on 2 hrs and one at 1'54 and my advice would be eat a good breakfast 2-3 hrs before the race porridge, yoghurt and a slice of toast with peanut butter. Then a banana 1 .5 hrs before. I also drink a litre of water by a few hrs before and a luc sport upto the start. Works for me!
>
> I wear a cotton t-shirt and don't suffer from nipple rub sores...

Basically the same as me except for the Luc sport and the cotton t shirt. Just water and a technical team vest. Probably carry a gel, may or may not use it.

Good luck Carpe Diem and I look forward to hearing your report.

Dave
 ollieollie 11 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem: i tried a gel for 1st time the other day, fu*&ing horrible
 Indy 11 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem:

runners nipple(s)

My normal (Sunday) long run is 16 miles but I quite regularly do 7-12 milers.

I've never had any problems with rubbing

Am wondering if its to do with the sorts of clothes people are wearing?
 ollieollie 11 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem: could be, what do you wear? i've tried cotton and adidas climacool
Carpe Diem 11 Aug 2012
In reply to ollieollie:

Wear various stuff really, not just one top.Find when its wet and windy the worst, but in all honesty when ever I ride or bike I'll have plasters on my nipples..

Got two gels and some left over Kendall mint cake for my pouch...I think that will be more than I need,but wont harm to have it.
Wonder if I'll be doing the John Wayne walk this time tomorrow ?
 liz j 11 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem:
> (In reply to ollieollie)
> > Wonder if I'll be doing the John Wayne walk this time tomorrow ?

You didn't mention that your were doing the half on a horse!!
 Indy 12 Aug 2012
In reply to ollieollie:
> (In reply to Carpe Diem) I've tried cotton and adidas climacool

Climacool is what I wear about 95% of the time. Cotton shirts as running wear? nasty and completely wrong. The only mildly strange thing I do is that I always run with a jacket, even in summer. Why? god knows habit I guess.
 Indy 12 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem:
> (In reply to ollieollie)

> Wonder if I'll be doing the John Wayne walk this time tomorrow ?
Oh lordy! that brings back painful memories of a trek where clothes washing wasn't as scrupulous as it should have been. all I'll say is nappy rash straight from HELL!!

Maybe you have sensitive nipples?
 The New NickB 12 Aug 2012
In reply to Indy:
>
> runners nipple(s)
>
> My normal (Sunday) long run is 16 miles but I quite regularly do 7-12 milers.
>
> I've never had any problems with rubbing
>
> Am wondering if its to do with the sorts of clothes people are wearing?

Some people are just more prone to getting it. I have a mate that looks like he has been shot in each nipple every time he runs more than 5 miles.
 ollieollie 12 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem: The time i got it was horrid, even contact with my quilt or a top hurt for 2 or 3 days
Carpe Diem 12 Aug 2012
In reply to all: Did it!!

Had a good run. Listened to the advice here from what time to eat before, what to eat, how many gels, what pace, following nice bum ect ect.

Aimed for 2:15 and crossed the line on 2:15:36

Pleased with the efforts. Legs feel tired, but no Cramps, no muscle spasms.

Again to all, thanks!!
 Indy 12 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Well done!!!
 davegs 12 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Well done.
 liz j 12 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem:
Brilliant!! Hope you avoided the big thunderstorms this morning that we ran in!! Now time for some nice rest and food, enjoy the post race feeling!!
Carpe Diem 12 Aug 2012
In reply to liz j:

Weather was mint!

Home now feeling good - Sunday dinner about 35mins away
 ollieollie 12 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem: Good effort, do you fancy a full marathon now?
Carpe Diem 12 Aug 2012
In reply to ollieollie:

Cheers. No

I honestly don't know if I'd want to run for 4 hours?
Sure I could with the right training, but don't think I'd want to.
 Banned User 77 12 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem: A marathon without training is silly IMO.. suffering and a huge risk of injury for a poor time.. I don't know why people do it.. a half you can get through off the odd run and gerenal fitness, that you'll have from biking, walking etc.. but a marathon is different..

Carpe Diem 12 Aug 2012
In reply to IainRUK:

A Marathon WITH training is Silly IMO

Think I'll stick where I am.
 ollieollie 12 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
>
> A Marathon WITH training is Silly IMO
>
Ha ha, fair play mate
Removed User 12 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Congratulations.

Did you lube up?
 Banned User 77 12 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
>
> A Marathon WITH training is Silly IMO
>
> Think I'll stick where I am.

Well your half marathon time is probably just over 20 mins ahead of my marathon time..

Anyway well done.. Byw Rhayader 20 in March is a cracking race, lovely circuit and not too far from you.. nice step up.. but I'd train for it.. hilly but lots of down hill after half way..
 DancingOnRock 12 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem: Well done. Now get entered for your next one. Mid September sometime?
Carpe Diem 12 Aug 2012
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserCarpe Diem)
>
> Congratulations.
>
> Did you lube up?

Thanks,everything went well... lube was spot on

Saw one guy who hadn't plastered up his nipples - shirt was well bloodied.. cant imagine how much he's hurting right now;(
Carpe Diem 12 Aug 2012
In reply to DancingOnRock:

Cardiff half is in October - maybe I'll go for that, but going to try a few longer training runs, see if my hearts in it.
 Banned User 77 13 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem: I just do a dab of vaseline on nipples.. it works fine for 3-4 hrs..

There was a guy in a 100k, running for England back in 2009, and his white english vest had two large red circles over each nipple.. looked agonising..
Removed User 14 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem: Dab your nipples with surgical spirit for a few days before to harden the skin or the ultimate answer which also cracks up any women up who see them is corn plasters with a pert little nipple poking through and vaseline down below.
 The New NickB 14 Aug 2012
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Carpe Diem) I just do a dab of vaseline on nipples.. it works fine for 3-4 hrs..
>
> There was a guy in a 100k, running for England back in 2009, and his white english vest had two large red circles over each nipple.. looked agonising..

Goes numb after a bit by all accounts, agony in the shower afterwards.
Removed User 14 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem:

1. Yes
2. Poached egg on toast 2 hours before
3. vest & shorts
4. not necessary
5. 2 mile jog

don't drink more than 1 beer pre race night

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...