UKC

School Sport Continued

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pyreneenemec 10 Aug 2012
Anyone else old enough to remember the Walls Ice cream Star Awards for athletics scheme? I obtained mine in 1977 ! I've still got my certificate:
Gold 5 Star Award / 89 points/ under 16. My three disciplines were the 100m;400m and the long-jump.

I've never given it a second thought, let alone highlighted the fact on a CV, yet I've noticed some people mention them on sites such as Linkedin.

I abandonned athletics in the 6th form despite the pressure and encouragement to continue. Any one knowledgable out-there care to risk giving their opinion on my level of performance ?

OP Pyreneenemec 10 Aug 2012
In reply to Pyreneenemec:

I am showing my age, no one else has heard of the Walls Ice cream / AAA Star Awards !
 Al Evans 10 Aug 2012
In reply to Pyreneenemec: Is there still an athletics section in the D of E? I can't remember what I did but I remember running the mile and throwing the cricket ball were two of the three. There were a huge amount of choices but time was running out so I did the cricket ball as an easy option.
OP Pyreneenemec 10 Aug 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

I couldn't be bothered with D of E . I was already rock-climbing and the D of E "games" appeared to be a little tame for me.
 diddler 10 Aug 2012

I did the AAA 5 star award, we had 2 sections, 3 events and 5 events or something along those lines. This was only 10 or so years ago so they are still knocking about.
OP Pyreneenemec 13 Aug 2012
In reply to diddler:

Exceptionally, I'm giving this a bump.
 The New NickB 13 Aug 2012

I remember some sort of AAA gold, silver and bronze award system, I long jumped 4m as a 9 year old in 1984, which got me a gold. I am not sure I could jump 4m now.
 petersheppard 13 Aug 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

DofE still has a physical section, 1 hour a week of any structured exercise.

Throwing a cricket ball though? Sounds like the Cub Scout athletics badge...
 Al Evans 13 Aug 2012
In reply to petersheppard: Ah they were early days, early 60's.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...