UKC

King Kong

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andy t 17 Jul 2003
Is there a general concensus for the new regraded start for King Kong at Wintours Leap since the big rockfall? I went to do Stairway to Heaven (E2 5c) which shares the start of KK, climbed the first 15 ft and backed off - didn't like the look of it - strenny, committing moves round the overhanging crack with little by way of good holds or possible rests to aim for in the overhanging groove above. My partner Tom went up for a look and was of the same opinion, retrieve gear and do something else. Were we being lightweight or is it 'ard?? Comments welcome......
 StuartM 17 Jul 2003
In reply to andy t: think it has settled at about E1 - seem to remember reading something along those lines after the rock fall

any of the Wye Valley climbers out there visited Ban y gor recently - ended up there after an abortive trip to Tintern quarry (lots of closed - keep out signs) not so long ago. judging by the cobwebs we had to clear i'm guessing not
 GrahamD 17 Jul 2003
In reply to andy t:

Last time I was there this year, I spoke to a couple who had just done KK. They reckoned that, if anything, the start had got easier since the rockfall. In which case it is still top end HVS / E1.
btn, shorty 17 Jul 2003
In reply to andy t: kk was re-climbed after the rockfall by tony penning and is now about e1 5b. it is quite a bit more comitting now, but does still feel a whole grade easier than stairway to heaven - even though they differ in style quite a bit.
 Al Evans 17 Jul 2003
In reply to btn, shorty: I was there just after Tony re-climbed it, it still looked dangerous to me, and stiff for E1. We didnt know Tony had done it and I thought it would need a clean before anybody (certainly me)went near it.
 GrahamD 17 Jul 2003
In reply to Al Evans:

How long ago was that ?
 Al Evans 17 Jul 2003
In reply to GrahamD: It was in the autumn or winter, just after Tony did it. Would be about 4 (?) years ago, maybe 5.
OP Big Dave 17 Jul 2003
In reply to andy t: The last King Dong I saw also took someone up a Stairway to Heaven!
OP Anonymous 17 Jul 2003
In reply to Big Dave: hohoho
 GrahamD 17 Jul 2003
In reply to Al Evans:

I spoke to a couple who did it this year who reckoned it was "OK".

I remember being so pleased with ourselves when we did this route for the first time (5b was really pushing it for us)and I'll never forget the hangover that I got from the scrumpy in the Rising Su afterwards (the n had fallen off the sign).
 Al Evans 17 Jul 2003
In reply to GrahamD: Speaking of letters falling off pub signs, we used to go to a pub near some obscure quarry at Marple, forget its name, but the pub was called The Otters Poo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...