UKC

Font from Paris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 27 Sep 2012

I have the miserable misfortune of having to fly to Paris on Friday for a week long business meeting which includes some free time to go shopping.

Now I hate shopping, sight seeing and pretending to like people I don't so a bit of free time away is in order.

How far is Font from Paris and how do I get there?
Talius Brute 27 Sep 2012
In reply to Removed User:

You can get there by RER. Go to Gare de Lyon and look at the signs.
Removed User 27 Sep 2012
In reply to Talius Brute:

Thanks. What kind of timeline?
Talius Brute 27 Sep 2012

About 40 mins I think. Can't remember. Google will tell you.
Talius Brute 27 Sep 2012

And though do make the best of Paris, some of the bars and restaurants are f*cking amazing.
Removed User 27 Sep 2012

Brilliant, you are a star. And don't worry about me missing Paris. I have several evenings out including a river cruise on the Seine and a gala dinner at the Palace of Versailles.

Trip to Font will beat these hands down
 hoodmonkey 27 Sep 2012

If you are looking to boulder and have no transport I would suggest getting off the train at Bois-Le-Roi, not Font as there is arguably better bouldering within walking distance of Bois-Le-Roi. Thinking specifically of Rocher Canon, which is awesome and extensive.

hm
 Trangia 27 Sep 2012

Although Fontainbleau (about 40k south of Paris) is an interesting town in it's own right it's a fair way from the main outcrops. "Font" is a generic term for a wide, mainly forest area, containing numerous rock outcrops. Without transport you will not be able to see much of them and you should seriously consider hiring a car for the day either directly from Paris or in Fontainbleau.
 Doug 27 Sep 2012
In reply to Trangia: but if he just wants to climb, its a short (20-30 minute) walk from Bois le Rois to Rocher Canon which will easily keep him occupied for a day and, in as much as any one site is typical, will give him an idea of what la forêt has to offer
 Bruce Hooker 27 Sep 2012
In reply to Doug:

Another vote for Bois le Roi and the Rocher Canon. One of the best areas in the forest, all levels from yellow to red and above, not too polished, although one or two spots maybe. Also the walk from station to rocks following a blue Denecourt path (blue on the IGN 1/25000 map and blue marks on the ground and trees) is a pleasure in itself.

You have to change trains in Melun.

Details here: http://www.transilien.com/web/site/lang/en
 Bruce Hooker 27 Sep 2012

I just looked at the map, the blue path is a bit indirect, its the GR1 which goes straight from station to rocks, marked with red and white markers on lamp posts, trees and such like. Under 3 kms. I really recommend buying the IGN 1/25000 map of Fontainebleau, it'll always come in useful next time.
 Doug 27 Sep 2012
In reply to Bruce Hooker: A while since I caught the train, but it used to be possible to get to Bois le Rois without a change (TER rather than RER, direction Montargis from Gare du Lyon) - have they changed the timetable (again) ?
Removed User 27 Sep 2012

Thanks everyone for the info. Bois it is.
 Bruce Hooker 28 Sep 2012
In reply to Doug:

I just typed the station names into the form I linked to above and it gave me changing in Melun as the fastest, 33 minutes IIRC. Sounds pretty good to me - you must gain a lot of time by a direct train to Melun rather than an omnibus. It probably depends on the time of day, connection delay and so on. I was surprised it was so quick really.
 fried 28 Sep 2012
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

Sounds strange. It's normally 55mins from Gare de lyon. No changes. there's a train every 30 mins.

http://www.ratp.fr/itineraires/fr/ratp/resultat-detaille/start/Gare+De+Lyon...
 Bruce Hooker 28 Sep 2012
In reply to fried:

If you scroll down the page a bit you'll see that 24 minutes of that are walking, to Gare de Lyon and from the station of Bois le Roi to Place de la République - you may have to expand the walking sections by clicking on a "+3 sign. The actual train ride is 32 minutes, and is apparently direct with no change.

On the other hand it seems to be a direct train when I try again on the other site now, so either there was a traffic problem yesterday when I first looked or I misread the info - something which is altogether possible! Whatever, 30 minutes to Font from the middle of Paris is pretty good for 8€10 each way.
 Doug 28 Sep 2012
In reply to Bruce Hooker:
when I scroll down, its 4 minutes walking from Gare de Lyon - RER to Gare de Lyon – SNCF (ie from one part of the station to another)

surprised if its really 30 minutes, used to be something like 45 on an almost direct train (one stop at Melun)

But with SNCF I guess anything is possible
 fried 28 Sep 2012
In reply to Doug:

I don't know, everytime I go to Gare de Lyon it takes forever to get around it, 25 minutes is long but....

I've only taken the train once and have no recollection of how long it took. There were definitely no changes.

Although now Zones 1-5 are the same at weekends with passe Navigo I might give it a go.
Removed User 02 Oct 2012

Thanks guys. Worked like a Swiss Watch. Just had an excellent escape and the walk down from the station was superb.

It was a bit damp but got a few problems done. Didn't really care about the standard of the climbing just loed getting out there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...