UKC

good gritstone north west suggestions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Radioactiveman 05 Oct 2012
Hi

Looking for a suggestion of a gritstone destination in the northwest ideally not too far from kendal.

Ideally lots of lower grades VD-VS

Had a search on the crags page and found lester mill quarry which seems to have plenty of the right grades but no idea if its any good

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=327

pule hill rocks looks like it could be an option as well ?

Cheers

Al Evans 05 Oct 2012
 Mark Collins 05 Oct 2012
In reply to Radioactiveman: Lester Mill is a bit less frequented and therefore more overgrown, compared to other venues. Over the road at Anglezarke quarry is a much better option for less adventure. Look at how many recent ascents there are in the log books against your target routes to see what I mean. Other good places around there for the grade range are Denham and Wilton 3, Wilton 1 is very good also but I'm not sure there are as many routes at the grades you're after there. I've never been to Pule Hill Rocks I'm afraid.
In reply to Radioactiveman:

For sheer quality head for the Chew valley near Oldham. The new guide is brilliant.
 Bulls Crack 05 Oct 2012

Head down to Skipton? Rylstone, Crookrise

The Chew is miles away

Cheers guys for all the suggestions. Going to give wilton 3 a try as I have lancashire rock.

Calder 05 Oct 2012
> (In reply to Radioactiveman)
>
> Cheers guys for all the suggestions. Going to give wilton 3 a try as I have lancashire rock.

Just to warn you it might be a tad grubby in places due to all the rain washing dirt down the routes. Don't let it put you off, but if it turns out you really can't bear it then head to over to the other quarries to hunt out some routes that shouldn't have suffered from any run-off.

Throsher, Fingernail, Flywalk, and other routes on the inside of the Prow should all be ok. Not so certain about 999, but if it's dry then it's definitely worth doing.
 Ann S 05 Oct 2012

Hi chuck, Wiltons are my local crags so get in touch when you want the grand tour.
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to Radioactiveman)
>
> Head down to Skipton? Rylstone, Crookrise
>
> The Chew is miles away

Yes sorry didn't read the Kendal bit!
In reply to Ann S:

cheers ann
 Bulls Crack 05 Oct 2012
In reply to Christheclimber:
> (In reply to Bulls Crack)
> [...]
>
> Yes sorry didn't read the Kendal bit!

Good though! Although haven't been for ages.

Cheers for all the input guys had a great time at wilton 3.Was generaly impressed with the whole are and would definitely go back again. Could do with some tlc when it dries out as it was quite green in places

Did the following routes

Meeny VD ( crack seemed a bit hard for VD)

Barbecue S - good

Mo HS - good

Justine S ( unpleasnt to say the least)

Shivers arete E1 - some guys let us have a go on thier top rope and even I managed it after a couple of go's at the top bit

Was a bit of seepage on the whole but enough to go at. A fair bit of mud in some routes. Had a look in wilton 1 before going home and it looked like the lost world and quite wet.

Well worth the trip and dried out surprisingly well considering the roads were still wet on the way there.
 Calder 06 Oct 2012

Good stuff - sounds like typical Wilton after lots of rain! I thought Justine was enjoyable if unspectacular when I did it, though. I find Spring and Summer is when it's in its best nick, although you may have to fend off the midges.
 Calder 06 Oct 2012
In reply to Radioactiveman: Oh, and I'm very disappointed you didn't do Kay! (the grubby corner between Mo & Shivers Arete)
 woodsy 08 Oct 2012
Troy Quarry is a bit nearer to you & dries much quicker than The Wiltons, Good, well protected routes at the grade you are looking for...

Why would you travel from the Lakes to some grotty quarry in Lancashire?
 wilkie14c 08 Oct 2012
Cadshaw castle crag is out of the way and natural grit rather than the more usual Lancs quarried. It can get midgy and there is some suspect rock and polish there but there are lots of routes VD to HS, quiet, top ropable if you want to try a harder route and belay stakes across the top. I often go there soloing and its always quiet.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=1106

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...