UKC

Running in the Pyrenees in November?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alicia 12 Oct 2012
Does anyone know what the usual snow situation is in the Pyrenees (can be either French or Spanish side) in mid-November? Is there likely to be much snow-free running in the mountains? Are there some decent-sized foothills that are likely to not be snowed under? Just considering some travel options...
 john arran 12 Oct 2012
In reply to alicia:

Hi Alicia. To give you an idea, the big local ski resort here in Ariège rarely opens in November. It usually snows down to around 1000m or lower some time during the month but most of the month I would expect snow-free running conditions up to between 1500 and 2000m except perhaps on some of the higher north-facing slopes. The difficulty is that you won't be able to predict far in advance when any storm(s) will hit so even though you'll probably be fine in general if you're only around for a week or so you could end up being confined to valleys for a chunk of that time. Plenty of good trails in the valleys though so could be a lot worse and the further north you go the smaller the hills get.

OP alicia 12 Oct 2012
In reply to john arran:

Thanks John. Are you two going to be in France the week of 12 November? This may influence which travel option I pick
 john arran 12 Oct 2012
In reply to alicia:

I'll reply in detail in an email but would be great to see you out here and I may even be keen to join you on a mountain run or two - as long as you go easy on me and we keep it under 3 hours!
 goatee 12 Oct 2012
In reply to alicia: I was there last year the first week in December and the snowline was at just about 2000mtrs. I walked from the Med to Canigou and certainly the mountains there offered lots of quality running options. I don't know about the central ranges.
 Wonrek 12 Oct 2012
In reply to alicia: Don't let snow stop you, get a pair of these beauties ;-D

http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/snowcross-cs.html

Cx
OP alicia 13 Oct 2012
In reply to goatee:

Thanks, this is useful--I'd have a car and a few days to spare, so I could go to pretty much whatever bit doesn't have snow.
OP alicia 13 Oct 2012
In reply to Wonrek:

I do have some, but I *hate* running in the snow and don't want to endure any more of it than absolutely necessary this winter!!
 Wonrek 13 Oct 2012
In reply to alicia: Never ran in snow, would love to give it a go (but maybe only briefly) but we don't tend to get a lot of the white stuff here in Cornwall

Cx
dinkypen 13 Oct 2012
In reply to alicia:

We moved from the Ariege to a little further West along the Pyrenean chain near Aspet in the 'Comminges' foothills. Here, we are at 600m and are surrounded by mile after mile of the most amazing paths, tracks and trails which are sure to be snow free in November. Luchon and the high mountains are just half an hour away so you can head up into the mountains for some quality running too if they are clear of snow. Are you heading down just to do some training or have you got an event in mind?
OP alicia 14 Oct 2012
In reply to dinkypen:

That sounds lovely! I've been thoroughly convinced now, so I'll be up from Barcelona for about 4 or 5 days in mid November, and I'll have a car so I can go to wherever is looking like the best conditions. If you'd be interested in meeting up for a run, send me an email--I'm doing my best to convince Nick to come out too, maybe you can help work on him No events going on, just nice training in the mountains. I'll have done a road marathon two weeks earlier so I'm expecting to be a little on the tired side!
dinkypen 14 Oct 2012
In reply to alicia:

Unfortunately I am out of running action at the moment, but would love to meet up with you if you are over this way. Nick should have no excuse for not coming out with you! I'll give him a boot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...