UKC

roof over my head this winter! fort william or aviemore

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Smith 12 Oct 2012
Looking for somewhere to stay this winter for the bext part of January ideally in either Fort William or Aviemore (or somewhere close by).

On a budget so whatever you can offer will do! I'm talking couch, floor, cupboard, even just garden i can put a tent in and have access to the house to dry my kit and cook food! Not joking! As I'm on a budget I'd happily do chores and that around the house to sweeten the deal, I'm fairly DIY savvy
and will paint rooms, chop logs or generally whatever you need done on rest/crap condition days.

Do your part for charity and take pity on a skint climber today! (I'm afraid I dont have a registered charity number).

Cheers,

James
 matthew154 13 Oct 2012
In reply to James S: This is rad. I wish ukc had a like like on facebook.
 Sam Mayfield 13 Oct 2012
In reply to James S:

James if no one take pity on you for Scotland you could always work here

http://theorangehouse.co.uk/questions-answered/working-at-the-orange-house

Sam Orange
OP James Smith 13 Oct 2012
In reply to matthew154: haha thanks! though i expect it'll feel less good when im lying in the tent for the 4th week in a row! be worth it though if i get lots of good climbing in!

To sam, cheers for the offer but I was really looking at just cheap ways of getting lots winter climbing in, your place might be a touch warm!
 Cuthbert 13 Oct 2012
In reply to James S:

Phone Nevis Sport in FW and Brighams and ask about accommodation that the staff use. Andy MacDonald is the manager at Nevis Sport and Ben Ankers at Brighams.

They will know what you mean if you ask for a modern day "number 7".
 luckyjim 13 Oct 2012
In reply to James S: ah! the infamous number 7... used to spend time there with johnny boy Stu and Aussie Dave.. the good old days!!
OP James Smith 13 Oct 2012
In reply to Saor Alba: haha awesome. Not quite sure what I'd be letting myself in for but I'll definitely give it a go! Cheers! (This better not be a wind-up!)

Still open to any other offers!
 liamo333 13 Oct 2012
In reply to James S: I stayed in the Fort William youth/backpackers hostel and there was a group of divers staying there and paying their way by doing chores, cleaning etc... You could try and work something with them, hostels are often keen for deals like that.
OP James Smith 14 Oct 2012
In reply to liamo333: cheers man, sounds like a good plan, I'll get in touch with them!
 Pinch'a'salt 14 Oct 2012
In reply to James S:

As I recall at one point we had the rent down to £7 a head per week in No7 ... mind you this was with 7 people living i a 2 bedroom flat. Oh happy days! Mind you, that was over 15 years ago now!

Saor Alba's advice is good - not sure how much of a 'dirtbag' scene there still is in the Fort though.
OP James Smith 14 Oct 2012
In reply to Pinch'a'salt: haha yeah ive done 5 people in a one bedroom flat before which was quite, shall i say, compact! Sounds like quite the urban legend this place! I'll definitely give it a go.
 liamo333 15 Oct 2012
In reply to James S:

Theres also the alex mac hut which is 6 pound a night I think.
 Sam Mayfield 15 Oct 2012
In reply to James S:

Don't Glenmore Lodge do a deal with cleaners for accommodation and courses etc?

Sam
OP James Smith 15 Oct 2012
In reply to Sam Mayfield: first ive heard of it but it sounds likely. I'll certainly look into it when I'm back in the country. In Kalymnos (on the cheap!) till saturday but it sounds like ive at least got a few options to go through when I'm back! Thanks all for input so far!
 walkingOn 21 Oct 2012
In reply to James S: Sounds like a cool life... I'd love to quit the rat race and just leave cheap, climb and snowboard... Unfortunately my wide would hang me out to dry and the bank manger wouldn't be too blessed when I say keep your mortgage matey.... Lol best of luck to you mind !!!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...