UKC

Single pitch routes to bag for SPA logbook

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
barryw3885 13 Oct 2012
My climbing partner is trying to complete his SPA logbook. We climb in peak district but he needs other rock types than lime and grit for his log book.
Any suggestions of routes/areas? must be single pitch, not sea cliff.
 Mark Eddy 13 Oct 2012
In reply to barryw3885: Holyhead mountain in North Wales. East Raven crag, Langdale. Both have plenty of single pitch climbs, offer two more rock types (Quartzite & Rhyolite).
skarabrae 13 Oct 2012
In reply to A Mountain Journey: agreed, both reasonably accessible from peak. Another option is Northumberland, 2-3hr drive from peak, gives you sandstone & dolerite (whin sill, peel crag/crag lough)
 jezb1 13 Oct 2012
In reply to barryw3885: you do realise that having lots of multipitch routes including sea cliffs will look really good in an SPA logbook?
 Rory Shaw 13 Oct 2012
In reply to barryw3885: just smash in the multi pitch. if i was assessing an SPA (which I do from time to time) then I would be more impressed with a logbook with plenty of multi pitch than just single pitch. In fact I worried be a little bit worried if they had no multi pitch experience what so ever - even though it is not a requirement
barryw3885 13 Oct 2012
In reply to Rory Shaw: Interesting I have read my mates SPA assessemnt report. They have deferred him on logbook, think there is miss understanding of SPA log book. Should he put in all his climbing? Get the feeling that you are suggesting that he should, including leads below S and multi-pitch!
skarabrae 13 Oct 2012
In reply to barryw3885: yes, put in all his climbing. The logbook comes with the relevant colour coded pages for single,multi-pitch,winter, etc.
 jezb1 13 Oct 2012
In reply to barryw3885: Put it all in, and the more varied the better.
 Jon Stewart 13 Oct 2012
In reply to barryw3885:

If you spend some time in N Wales, you've got slate (sheltered, dries quick), loads of single pitch mountain rock and Holyhead mountain. Plus access to so much multi-pitch, it's a great place to get loads of mileage and variety.
 jkarran 14 Oct 2012
In reply to barryw3885:

> Interesting I have read my mates SPA assessemnt report. They have deferred him on logbook, think there is miss understanding of SPA log book.

So why was he deferred, was the climbing too little, too easy, to similar?

Surely you only need 20 single pitch routes with a few at severe+ on a couple of rock types or is my memory failing me? I'd just do the climbing you like for a few weeks, log that.

jk
 timjones 14 Oct 2012
In reply to skarabrae:
> (In reply to barryw3885) yes, put in all his climbing. The logbook comes with the relevant colour coded pages for single,multi-pitch,winter, etc.

Ah yes the dreaded MLT logbooks with their totally unecessary seperate sections. Experience is epxerience and wider ranging experience is better why not have it all in a single section so that it is easy to read? Anybody who has to interpret logbooks should be well capable of differentiating between disciplines without the need for so many different sections.
 ianstevens 14 Oct 2012
In reply to jkarran: Its 40+ climbs, three rock types, single pitch on leadr placed pro above gear. But not far out...
 christoph owen 14 Oct 2012
In reply to barryw3885:
> (In reply to Rory Shaw) Interesting I have read my mates SPA assessemnt report. They have deferred him on logbook, think there is miss understanding of SPA log book. Should he put in all his climbing? Get the feeling that you are suggesting that he should, including leads below S and multi-pitch!

Before I did my SPA assessment I was given some advice by an assessor friend of mine, he said try not to put too much stuff in that’s below the required grade, in this case severe. Assessors want to be able to see quite easily that you have the minimum amount of climbs required at that grade, and not having to flick through pages of v-diffs. Your logged climbed don’t have to be single pitch, multi pitch is fine/better, in fact it shows a broader range a skills and experience.

Put all your single pitch and multi pitch stuff on the single pitch pages of the logbook; ignore the multi pitch pages completely. Take out any unused pages to streamline your logbook. From what he said, quite a lot of people get logbook deferrals, so its worth taking your time filling it in and handing in a completed, tidy logbook.
 Fat Tim 14 Oct 2012
In reply to barryw3885: Get to North Wales and do some classics at Tremadog, then to Holy Head mountian, then get on the slate.

You could go for the weekend and do something on the sunday as well....
altadv 14 Oct 2012
In reply to barryw3885: Come over to Lancashire Rock or even get a copy of the new BMC Sandstone Guide to Merseyside and Cheshire.
Assessors are looking for a good rounded climber. Remer the award is for climbers who want to take others climbing.
Get some big stuff done.
 MGrock 14 Oct 2012
If you can't travel far, log some stuff at Froggatt. It is quarried grit and therefor classed as different.
 Paul at work 14 Oct 2012
In reply to MGrock:
> If you can't travel far, log some stuff at Froggatt. It is quarried grit and therefor classed as different.

No its not!
 Dan Lane 14 Oct 2012
In reply to Paul at work:

A lot of Froggatt is quarried...whether that means it's classed as a different rock type or not is a different question.
 scott44 14 Oct 2012
In reply to barryw3885: I used the print out from the logbook I created on this site and listed all the supervisory work I had done with groups at crags. Included the Graphs as well, this shows just about everything the assessors need to know at a glance. Only thing they wanted was to remove all the unnecessary stuff from the folder and just leave what the contents page listed.
 MGrock 15 Oct 2012
In reply to Paul at work: Actually is
 Paul at work 15 Oct 2012
In reply to MGrock: I was referring to fact that it is not classed as different in respect to the SPA award, from my point of view as a provider.
barryw3885 11 Nov 2012
In reply to jkarran: iy was lack of variety. we live and work in derbyshire. we climb predominantly on grit but have lots of crags in logbook. trad lime single pitch was limited. suggestion was to get more areas away from peaks.
a little harsh i think
barryw3885 11 Nov 2012
In reply to Dan Lane: No it doesn't. The assessor wanted other rock away from grit and lime.
barryw3885 11 Nov 2012
In reply to Fat Tim: Nice idea. thanks

martinph78 12 Nov 2012
In reply to barryw3885: You've got hard sandstone at park nab and the wainstones if you want to head over to North Yorkshire.
 jkarran 12 Nov 2012
In reply to barryw3885:

> iy was lack of variety. we live and work in derbyshire. we climb predominantly on grit but have lots of crags in logbook. trad lime single pitch was limited. suggestion was to get more areas away from peaks.
> a little harsh i think

A weekend in North Wales would sort you out. Even this time of year you'd stand a good chance of packing in some Slate, Tremadog and Hollyhead if you picked your weekend and really went for it. I'd not worry about whether they're single or multi-pitch, it's a silly distinction for the personal logbook.

jk
 Landy_Dom 12 Nov 2012
In reply to jkarran:

Pop into Helsby on the way in (hard sandstone) and Clwyd (limestone) on the way back too
andyathome 12 Nov 2012
In reply to barryw3885:
If you normally have to climb in the peak district you could always 'trade up' and go to Yorkshire; it's not so far. Attermire / Twistleton / Pot Scar etc will get you some great cragging.

I know it's stall limestone but at least it is decent single pitch limestone - in which the peak is sadly lacking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...