UKC

Sea cliff climbing, North East (Durham Coast)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martinph78 23 Oct 2012
Just wondering if anyone has done anything along the Durham coast? Not sure the rock is especially suitable, and can't find anything online to suggest it has been done so probably not a good idea!

As I say, just wondering
Yrmenlaf 23 Oct 2012
In reply to Martin1978:

There's some recorded routes in the Denes (Castle Eden Dene), not sure how legal they would be. Mrs Y. is just serving dinner, so I'll check out the 1984 brown guide afterwards.

Climbonline is another possible source of info.

Y.
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 23 Oct 2012
In reply to Martin1978:

Blackhall Rocks and South Shields are okay (ish).

www.climbonline.co.uk
 Ed Navigante 23 Oct 2012
In reply to Martin1978:

All the way down near Filey has some stuff, but that's as close as I know of
Yrmenlaf 23 Oct 2012
In reply to Ed Navigante:

The 1984 guide has routes at Castle Eden Dene, Crimdon Dene and Heseldon Dene (not exactly sea cliffs). I've done a few routes in Castle Eden, and can record that the rock is like cottage cheese. There's a few routes recorded at Blackhall Rocks and at Hartlepool Headland.

Climbonline is by far and away the best and most up to date site.

Y.
In reply to Martin1978:

I believe that climbing is not permitted in Castle Eden Dene which is some kind of Nature Reserve. Bouldering is OK North of Marsden Rock, also some bouldering/micro routes in Cleadon Park just inland from Marsden.

Website noted above is the pace to go for accurate information.
OP martinph78 23 Oct 2012
In reply to Martin1978: Thanks guys, shall take a look at climbonline now I have some areas to search for.

Was just wondering if there was much worth visiting as I'm getting a bit bored with Causey and Howns Gill as local (closest) spots! Price of fuel is ruining my choice of climbing venues!

Thanks, Martin
 loose overhang 23 Oct 2012
In reply to Martin1978:

When I was at college in Sunderland in 1971 my pal and I went to the seashore looking for something to climb and found a small stack, which might have been 30 ft high. We climbed it. The rock was not very good I remember and the top bit fell off after we had abbed down. It was maybe a mile or so south of the River Wear. There were some other bits of poor rock around, but that's about all I can remember about it. By now it might have eroded away.
Bingers 23 Oct 2012
In reply to Yrmenlaf:
> (In reply to ERH)
There's a few routes recorded at Blackhall Rocks and at Hartlepool Headland.
> Y.

Where is the climbing on the Headland? I work there some weeks and will go and have a look, but can't think where.
 Tom Valentine 23 Oct 2012
In reply to Bingers:
Thought it was man-made stuff
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Tom Valentine:
> (In reply to Bingers)
> Thought it was man-made stuff

Yes it is!

Have you checked out this place:
http://www.climbonline.co.uk/summerhill_boulders.htm

These boulders are man made too but perhaps climb better than The Headland?

Free unrestricted access too!

(Its not a sea cliff though!)
OP martinph78 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Martin1978: Thanks, have noticed the boulder park at Whickam Thorns as well, closer to me so might give that a go.

Cheers all,
Martin
skarabrae 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Martin1978: just up from Marsden rock, there are a few nice coves, that offer good boudering, traverses ,also very good for dry tooling, the rock is pretty sound (limestone) frenchmans bay is the name for one of these coves.
You can either park in the car park at Marsden then follow the path north for half a mile, look out for a black path leading down the cliff to the sea (DISUSED sewer pipe) the coves are to the left of this.
Alternate my follow the road north fro. Marsden to a busstop on the right, park near here & then walk directly over the field to the cove (shorter)

Have fun.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...