UKC

New Sport - Ice Bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Boulderdash86 24 Oct 2012
Just wondering if this is a new sport - was talking to some friends and thought of this as an Idea - is there actually anywhere that allows Ice Bouldering. In case people are confused I mean Ice Bouldering with Axes and Crampons?

If there is a sport like this who here actually practises it?
 Ava Adore 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Boulderdash86:

Will never happen. How could the boulderer climb with his top off? Imagine the cold burns on the nipples!!

CurlyStevo 24 Oct 2012
nothing new, I've got books 20 years old that suggest it is good practice.
 GridNorth 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Boulderdash86: Me and my mates were always on the lookout for short pieces of ice to practice on as we didn't live in an area overly endowed with long ice falls. But like bouldering on rocks we never took it seriously and just considered it as practice for the real thing.

James
 Joe G 24 Oct 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to Boulderdash86)
> nothing new, I've got books 20 years old that suggest it is good practice.

I'm sure nineteenth century climbers would have practiced their ice technique on wee bits where a fall wouldn't matter too much. Whether they did it topless and with a beanie on is another matter entirely...
 Clarence 24 Oct 2012

Wouldn't crampons rip the shit out of your mat?
 beardy mike 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Boulderdash86: In all seriousness, why? I thought if you wanted to practice ice climbing you went to the pub and sank 8 pints - that has always been the recommended method of training.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...