UKC

Interest in a home climbing wall.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
WaxiesDargle 24 Oct 2012
I have a very small spare room which I never use. It measures 7.5ft by just over 6ft, and the two inner 'walls' are plasterboard stud walls. I'd love to use it as a little practice climbing room. Have any of you ever built or know anyone else who has built a wall in such a small space? Would it even be worthwhile in such a small room or would I be wasting my time? Thanks, Neil.
 Stanners 25 Oct 2012
In reply to WaxiesDargle:
Ive got some crimps/mini jugs for sale if you decide to mate. They are spares from
my wall which I think was well worth building if you have the
time to train. Also great fun making it i found!
 jkarran 25 Oct 2012

I've used a wall very good wall in a shed more like 10ft x 4ft, if you're creative you'll make it work.

jk
 Fraser 25 Oct 2012

How tall is it and does the door swing encroach on the footprint area you've given?

yeah, ive seen some people just put up a 45degree wallin their garaage and changed the hold around every week or so. I think with a whole room you could board the walls up as the plaster will be pointless and then have a great little bouldering setup with some great 'traverses'.
 Russell Lovett 25 Oct 2012
In reply to WaxiesDargle: On the wall I have built in my garage as well as the holds I have bought i also have pieces of rock that I have picked up from crags I have visited. Some are drilled and can be used for holds others are just liquid nailed (glued ) on I then write on the wall with perminant marker pen where they are from. It's great after all these years to be able to look at the wall and bring back the memories of were I have been and the routes I have done there, also keeps you motivated to go back and train harder for the routes you could not do there. Does not realy answer your Q about your wall but if you build one then maybe worth doing on yours.
WaxiesDargle 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Fraser: It's 7.5ft tall. The door does encroach on the footprint area, but I'd be happy to remove the door. Thanks for the rest of the posts, I think I'll definitely start to draw up some plans then.
 Alun 25 Oct 2012
Depends on the height of the room, but I think you would probably get more out of a good hangboard.

My garage wall is 10ft wide and about 10ft high (angled at 30 degs) and it's only just big enough to do 'problems'. Crucially though, there is enough space in my garage to swing around and fall off without risk of hitting a wall.

A friend has a smaller wall and he is restricted to repeating small circuits with defined hand movements. But it's all about motivation - despite having a smaller wall, I think he uses his more than I use mine!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...