UKC

Freecycle - Has It Lost Its Way?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Billy the fish 27 Oct 2012
It started off as a good idea; get rid of the stuff you don’t want, clear some space, avoid landfill and help someone else.

Now, most of the posts are “Wanted” with recent highlights including caravans, outboard motors, iphones, digital SLRs and laptops, must be in good condition, needed ASAP. Requests are often by serial posters who offer nothing, they’ll take anything, including the Psssss. Anything of any value is taken within minutes of being offered.

Do you use it or still have any support for it?
 Blizzard 27 Oct 2012
In reply to Billy the fish:

I didnt know that. But thanks for the info. Its called Capitalism and it ruins everything.
 gethin_allen 27 Oct 2012
I was looking at the swansea group looking for some basic gardening tools. I was about to join when I noticed that there had only been 4 posts in the last year.
It's dead.
 Welsh Kate 27 Oct 2012
In reply to gethin_allen:
The Cardiff and area one is pretty active, you might have some luck there.
 cuppatea 27 Oct 2012

I've given away a load of stuff locally and also received a few bits, including a bag full of old climbing mags

Agreed though: there's a lot of wanted posts requesting high end stuff, canoes, cars, laptops etc. and good (saleable?) stuff seems to be "taken" pretty rapidly..
 Cobbler 28 Oct 2012
In reply to gethin_allen:
There was a breakaway from Freecycle some years ago. It seems to have been more pronounced in some areas than others and perhaps Swansea was one of the more affected areas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freegle
 rubbercrumb 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Billy the fish: The Sheffield one I use is plagued by rude people who can't be bothered to be polite. Some are flakey too. Get accepted and then decide if they want it. Fail to return emails or calls, I guess they are the spivs in it for money.
Beautiful idea being ruined by greed.
 Philip 28 Oct 2012
I don't think it's that recent either. I've been hoarding stuff in my loft because it's too good for throwing but I haven't had time for eBay. I would free cycle but I don't like the idea it goes to someone else who then flogs it.
 Queenie 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Philip:

Donate to a charity shop?

Decent moderating could sort the problem out. Warnings followed by bans for members putting outrageous 'wants', and removal of those posts. On my local Freecycle groups the posts are vetted but still clearly greedy requests get through.

Perhaps a function where members can report those who don't bother to turn up, so a list is formed of repeat offenders, who could then be banned. A point system similar to eBay to show reliability. But then that takes someone techie with time to set up...
 Toccata 28 Oct 2012

Two experiences with Freecycle when moving house. Offered a load of furniture and two guys turned up in a transit van already full of barbeques, kids toys and other 'freecycled' things. Second was when I offered a load of baby clothes and toys and a little old lady turned up and was quite open that she 'would get a good price for these on ebay'. And that was the end of Freecycle.
 Mike Stretford 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Toccata:
> (In reply to Billy the fish)
>
> Two experiences with Freecycle when moving house. Offered a load of furniture and two guys turned up in a transit van already full of barbeques, kids toys and other 'freecycled' things. Second was when I offered a load of baby clothes and toys and a little old lady turned up and was quite open that she 'would get a good price for these on ebay'. And that was the end of Freecycle.

I don't see your problem. The stuff is getting recycled and it's out of your way. Collecting and resselling stuff takes work, the guys in the van have fuel costs, the little old lady might get to put the heating on a comfortable setting this winter. This is obviously not the most profitiable buisness, but it's keeping people in work.
 Queenie 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Papillon:

...and helping clear out people's unwanted clutter.
 Siward 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Papillon:

My experience, in giving stuff away, is that I got lots of replies saying 'yes please' and I chose one depending, really, on what they said they wanted it for. So in some small way I gave it to the most 'deserving' people. Granted, they might be spinning a yarn just to get sympathy but it people are prepared to be that devious not much you can do.
 Blue Straggler 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Papillon:

I agree with you. And who's to say that donating to a charity shop is particularly better? They might put it on at a bargain price and someone will pick it up and sell it on at profit. I mean I've had two very good SLRs out of charity shops, one at £20, one at £16, I could easily double my money on either of them (in fact I am keeping one and have given one to my Dad).

I fully understand the annoyance of Freecycle chancers and the notion of wanting something to go to a good home of course.

Maybe just put stuff up on your own Facebook and ask if friends of friends want it? I shifted a guitar effects pedal this way, better than gumtree or whatever and I knew it was going to someone who would use it properly, Got £30 too (second hand value was maybe £40 but it would be hard to actually GET the £40 with all the hassle of people making offers, and having to post it and so on).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...