UKC

Marzipan - how do you do yours

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philip 01 Nov 2012
I've always done top and sides separately but watching some pros they go for the all in one and smooth the sides with a round cake. As I've gone for a round cake for the first time I can't decide which way is best.
gizmo 01 Nov 2012
In reply to Philip:

Usually made from scratch and in the middle of stollen. I don't have to worry about how to drape it.
OP Philip 01 Nov 2012
I make a stollen too, but that's for before Christmas as they don't keep. The spare 250g of marzipan is going in that.

In the end I went for the two piece method. I think the one piece is just about saving time.
Steph-in-the-West 01 Nov 2012
In reply to Philip:
A rectangle - dimensions twice the height of the cake and half the circumference; cut in halves to make 2 rectangles the same height as the cake. Smear sides of cake with apricot jam and attach the rectangles butt joining the edges so no bulges. Roll remaining marzipan into a crcle the size of the top so it goes over the side marzipan. Spread top with jam and smooth on top piece.
I used to make my cake in the last week of October, then feed it with rum and/or scotch every couple of days until the end of November, then marzipan it, let it dry a week or so then ice it!!! Enjoy!!
 Little Brew 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Philip: Last, and only, Marzipan cake i made i did the single sheet and it worked ok, i then did the single sheet of icing and that too went ok, it was the decorating i hated, but it was for a scout guess the weight so i went with scouting themed... read that as dam fiddly little things!

whatever you do it will taste the same so why worry.
 Clarence 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Philip:

The best way is to just eat the marzipan and to hell with the cake...
 graeme jackson 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Clarence:
> (In reply to Philip)
>
> The best way is to just eat the marzipan and to hell with the cake...

You are Mrs jackson and I claim my £5.

Neil Williams 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Clarence:

You might have forced me to go to the shop and buy some for that purpose now. Not fair.

Neil
 Only a hill 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Philip:
I mistakenly read this thread title as "Marzipan - not fit for purpose" (it's next to the Kindle thread at the moment!)
 Neil Williams 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Only a hill:

If you were to eat too much of it, you might not be fit for purpose (or you might be too fat for purpose), it's incredibly fattening. ISTR about 1200 calories in a block of it.

Neil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...