UKC

Two half marathons in a week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 06 Nov 2012
I did the Lochaber half last Sunday. A couple of months ago I put my name down on a waiting list for the Clova half and promptly forgot all about it. Half an hour ago I got a text from the organiser telling me that there was a place available for me if I wanted it. So I said yes. It's on Saturday.

I haven't run since Sunday but I was thinking of going out for a bit of a trot tomorrow, the legs don't feel too bad at all but I'm now in a bit of a quandary about how much I should do between now and Saturday.

Has anyone got any advice?
 Banned User 77 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Removed User: Never knew there was a Glen Clova half marathon..

My PB for years at a marathon was set after not running for 6 days.. I ran a 50 mile race, won it, didn't run, did 3 miles at 7 min mile pace, felt OK so ran 2:46 in the marathon the next day..

I tried repeatedly to beat that time, it took me three years.. enforced rest can help..
 Banned User 77 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Removed User: I'd just do a light run tomorrow.. maybe a few strides.. then rest thursday, Friday 1 mile easy 1.5 miles quickish. 0.5 mile easy and race.. or run run rest..
 StefanB 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Removed User:

Depends on your background, but if you are used to half marathons there should be no problem, apart from adjusting your goal pace, if last sunday has been a full out effort.
I would do it by feel, i.e. go out tomorrow and see how the legs respond. Then decide on a goal and maybe do some short goal pace intervals on thursday and take friday off.
Removed User 06 Nov 2012
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Eric9Points) Never knew there was a Glen Clova half marathon..
>

Yep..http://www.forfarroadrunners.co.uk/site/Clova_Half_Marathon

I think it'll be quite hilly for a road race and God knows what the weather will be like..

tony 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Removed User:

I did a pb at Glen Clova a couple of years ago - first time under 90 minutes, so I have quite good memories of the race. The first half, down the glen, is more undulating than hilly, but there are some sizable undulations. I do remember driving up the glen to the start thinking it was too lumpy for a fast time, but it turned out I was wrong about that. The second half, back up the glen, is fairly flat, but there is a bit of a sting in the tail towards the end - nothing too severe, but a bit of a slope just when you'd like it nice and flat.

It's very weather dependent - I've been lucky the two times I've done it, with decent weather and not too much wind, but friends have done it in blizzard conditions with serious headwinds.

As for doing two halfs in a week - you'll be fine. You obviously won't gain or lose any fitness between now and then, so all you can do is get loose and try to get the legs feeling as fresh as they can, It's a nice race - I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...