Off Belay forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Bar/Club/PR work

Taurig - on 08 Nov 2012
Apologies if this is a bit of a ramble, my mind has been fried by job websites.

In the next couple of weeks I will have finished my PhD (hurrah!). Unfortunately, as is a common complaint these days, the job market is poor, and I haven't got anything permanent lined up or even close. Christmas is coming, and my savings are slowly bleeding dry.

I need a job that I can start with minimal if any training, will pay at least minimum wage, won't consume all my time and I won't feel hugely guilty about leaving if/when something more permanent comes along. I've been thinking about working in the bar/club/PR area. There must be more than a few people on here who have worked in bars and clubs, I'm just wondering if they could answer a few quick questions?

1) Are these online application forms on club websites a waste of time? I sent a few of them away years ago and never heard a thing back, am I best phoning or handing a CV in in person?
2) Speaking of CVs, I have a degree and nearly a PhD in a technical science based subject, should I include this? I'm pretty sure a PR manager won't give a toss about my research, so how can I say what I've been doing over the last few years without soundling like a ponce?
3)Out of bar staff, glass collecting, leafleting/PR etc. what's the best to go for? I quite like the idea of PR (out and about, doing the rounds in different pubs) rather than being in a bar, but is there usually a heirarchy in terms of pay and hours on offer?
4) The sum total of my bar experience is one shift in a nightclub, after which I went on holiday, then wrecked my leg in a MTB accident, then started my PhD, so I couldnt go back (quite enjoyed it though). Am I likely to go straight to the bottom of the pile?

I'd really appreciate help with the above, it may seem trivial to some but I'm skint and need to find something ASAP.

... not showing 7 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums