Culture Bunker forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - The Lives of Others

Hugh J - on 10 Nov 2012
(Das Leben Der Anderen) Another thread got me thinking about this film. Possibly one of the greatest films of all time in my opinion. It won a Oscar for the "Best Foreign Language Film" and many other awards, but possibly would have wiped the floor at the Oscars if it had been an English speaking film.

Ulrich Mühr's performance as the "cold", yet tragic Stasi officer Weisler is just breath-taking brilliant, though there is not a single week performance/character throughout - a sign of the superb directing for von Donnersmarck. There are so many intricate nuances, the boy with the ball in the lift, the jokes in the canteen (check to see who tells Weisler the wall has come down), Weisler in Dreyman's flat, the self-murder narrative, the red thumbprint and the ending is so poignant!

Anyone else seen it? Or does anyone else know of other films that would have wiped the floor with the Hollywood trash if wasn't for the temerity of not speaking Amuuuurican!
... not showing 24 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums