UKC

Local (ish) climbs! Midlands??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Supadeano86 18 Nov 2012
Looking for climbing thats recommended and has been used recently? I live by jnc 1 of the m5 an only looking to travel and hour really? Any recommendations guys?
Cheers!
bullandbladder 18 Nov 2012
In reply to Supadeano86: Roaches, I'd have thought. That's not much more than an hour. Supposed to be some bits at Malvern, but still best part of an hour away.
 OwenM 18 Nov 2012
In reply to Supadeano86: Wye Valley.
 Rob Exile Ward 18 Nov 2012
In reply to bullandbladder: 'Supposed to be some bits at Malvern...' Supposed is the operative word.

The Avon Gorge can't be much more than an hour, surely?
 ripper 18 Nov 2012
In reply to Supadeano86: Llanymynech, just near Oswestry.

Have you tried using the 'find crags map' on this very site? under the Logbooks button at the top of the page.
 Bimble 18 Nov 2012
In reply to Supadeano86:

Wenlock & Pontesbury too, both easy to get to.
 Duncan Bourne 18 Nov 2012
In reply to Supadeano86:
For anything decent you are probably heading north or south on that motorway (Peak, Avon or Wye valley) but if you fancy staying local the nearest crag would be Southstone Rock (the HERMITAGE) OS ref. 709640 sheet 138 landranger. Limestone with a small selection of climbs mostly in the VS grades but the odd E1. There are climbs on the Malverns but they are almost certainly over grown, not been climbed on for a good while I imagine.
Heading Shrewsbury way Nesscliffe is probably THE major crag and has its own guide book. Pontesford is fun I have climbed there a few times. Others would be Ippkins Rock, Grinshill, Stipperstones (bouldering) but best to check access as there have been problems in the past.
 Duncan Bourne 18 Nov 2012
In reply to Duncan Bourne:
Out of interest has anyone climbed at Malvern recently? I climbed Ivy Butress HS 4a on Ivy Scar Rock a few years back but it was in the process of being reclaimed by brambles.
OP Supadeano86 18 Nov 2012
In reply to Duncan Bourne: I climbed Malvern in aug this year, at Westminster arms quarry, a few routes still do able. I did a couple struggled to find other areas to be honest.
 nniff 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Duncan Bourne:
> (In reply to Duncan Bourne)
> Ivy Scar Rock was in the process of being reclaimed by brambles.

Best thing that could happen to it.
 TobyA 19 Nov 2012
 sam@work 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Supadeano86: clwyd ?? can't be more than 1 hour ??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...