Off Belay forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Should you expect people to be better educated than they are?

Denni on 22 Nov 2012
Morning all,
this Isn't a rant, more an observation although that doesn't matter on UKC!

I always thought that when I was at school, 1973-1986, we were educated to a decent level. I don't think it is the same these days or maybe I just expect people to be better educated than they are?

My reason for this post is that I was in the bank yesterday filling out a form for my daughter and her new bank account. The chap behind the counter was filling in the relevant details on the computer and it always seems to take an age as I have a long surname, de-Saint-Bissix-Croix, which I always have to phonetically spell which is fine.

I told him my surname and he asked me to spell it out. He then asked me whether "hyphen" was part of my surname, I said no, thinking he was joking so he then asked me what it was....

I find this pretty deplorable but I have actually come to expect this in this day and age but was quite surprised to be asked this by someone in a bank who as far as I'm concerned, should be educated to a certain standard.

What do you all reckon?
... not showing 58 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums