UKC

best low cal alcoholic drink?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pj84 23 Nov 2012

whats the best low calorie alcoholic drink. i wanna swap beer for something else to help loose a few pounds!
Blastbar 23 Nov 2012
In reply to Pj84: The best I've found has to be pure ethanol. Definite weight loss with this stuff!
OP Pj84 23 Nov 2012
In reply to Blastbar:
> (In reply to adamarkley) The best I've found has to be pure ethanol. Definite weight loss with this stuff!

ha ha yeah got load of that at work!
 Mooncat 23 Nov 2012
In reply to Pj84:

Try Highland Park Lite, the 18yo is great.
 ayuplass 23 Nov 2012
In reply to Pj84:
Spirits, have a low calorie mixer with it if you dont want to get mashed too soon
Removed User 23 Nov 2012
In reply to Pj84: Dry white wine and soda. Although three bottles of dry white of an evening might just offset the benefits.
 nw 23 Nov 2012
In reply to Removed User:
Whisky, water on the side.
 Jacob Ram 23 Nov 2012
In reply to Pj84: Off the shelf, vodka.
 london_huddy 23 Nov 2012
In reply to Pj84:

Gin and slim-line was my tipple while dropping weight earlier in the year.
Not if drinking it by the pint helped though...
 hamsforlegs 23 Nov 2012
In reply to Pj84:

It's fairly easy to get to grips with this.

The main source of calories in booze is the actual alcohol itself. Your body breaks this down into sugars. It works out very roughly at 55-66 calories (kCal really) per unit.

Other constituents in the drink then make up the remainder of the calories. If you pour a sugary mixer in there, it will add up fast, just as drinking the same soft drink on its own would be a bad dietary choice.

Beer does have some calories in the form of sugars, but these are generally heavily outweighed by the alcohol itself.

'Clean' choices that make the counting easier include spirits with zero-cal mixers, as suggested above in various forms. Dry white and red wines are generally a good call too; the vast majority of wines have all of the sugars fermented out (any apparent 'sweetness' is a combination of other flavours and the alcohol working together).

Beer might not actually be a bad choice, since the sheer volume of liquid often encourages moderation in terms of units. But if you're drinking 8 pints a night, then, well, a bottle of wine may be a better call...
OP Pj84 23 Nov 2012
In reply to hamsforlegs:
> (In reply to adamarkley)
>
> It's fairly easy to get to grips with this.
>
> The main source of calories in booze is the actual alcohol itself. Your body breaks this down into sugars. It works out very roughly at 55-66 calories (kCal really) per unit.
>
> Other constituents in the drink then make up the remainder of the calories. If you pour a sugary mixer in there, it will add up fast, just as drinking the same soft drink on its own would be a bad dietary choice.
>
> Beer does have some calories in the form of sugars, but these are generally heavily outweighed by the alcohol itself.
>
> 'Clean' choices that make the counting easier include spirits with zero-cal mixers, as suggested above in various forms. Dry white and red wines are generally a good call too; the vast majority of wines have all of the sugars fermented out (any apparent 'sweetness' is a combination of other flavours and the alcohol working together).
>
> Beer might not actually be a bad choice, since the sheer volume of liquid often encourages moderation in terms of units. But if you're drinking 8 pints a night, then, well, a bottle of wine may be a better call...

i'll go for the wine then1 lol
 3 Names 24 Nov 2012
In reply to Pj84:

Lime and Soda
 LennyJ1 24 Nov 2012
In reply to Pj84: Just drink Coors Light
 dave frost 24 Nov 2012
In reply to Pj84: alcohol is metabolized as fat, so high alcohol drinks that are low calorie, still make you fat! try red wine.
 sargy 24 Nov 2012
In reply to Pj84:

I think Vodka and Diet Coke is supposed to one the best options- around 50 cals.
 Dave Garnett 24 Nov 2012
In reply to Mooncat:
> (In reply to adamarkley)
>
> Try Highland Park Lite, the 18yo is great.

I'm sorry, for a moment I panicked and actually had to look at their website to check you were kidding.
aultguish 24 Nov 2012
In reply to Pj84: just hit the hard spirits. At the end of the day, you never see a serious alcoholic with weight issues
 Banned User 77 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Pj84: I thought it was white rum and diet coke? Certainly a light spirit and diet mixer..
 yer maw 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Pj84: ffs get a grip of yourself. Run to the pub then drink what you want, and run (of sorts) home.
 Styx 25 Nov 2012
Diet coke and Sailor Jerry's spiced rum was always a winner for me before I pretty much entirely gave up the drink, it tastes like cream soda, mmm!
OP Pj84 25 Nov 2012
In reply to yer maw:
no running after ten pints!
OP Pj84 25 Nov 2012
In reply to LennyJ1:
is it actually low cal?
 Lukem6 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Pj84: Low cal beer, silly boys.

Booze = less weight loss. might as well stick to full fat.

Dont drink or dont worry about weight loss. Simple.

Coming from someone who is in the business, Low cal mixed with booze doesn't make much different, your still killing your metabolism and dehydrating your body. Replacing "Calories" with chemicals and artificial sweeteners and you might as well say goodbye to your liver and kidneys and livers. Use google if you must the info is out there for free. Or buy into marketing and go for Gin and Slimline tonic.

P.S an average measure of tonic only has 24 calories but who cares just drink up.
 Lukem6 26 Nov 2012
In reply to lm610: as far as wine goes, any alcohol under 20% is easily absorbed into the system, wine been 10 - 15% means its absorbed with maximum potential to enter your body.

Hence the common concept that wine gets you drunk quicker.

And to dismiss the myth that alcohol metabolises into fat is a myth, your body finds the sugar in alcohol very difficult to process, the damage is in the other effects that alcohol has upon the body.
 Motown 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Pj84: Moscow Mule works for me - possible to get plenty of booze in a single drinkoads of ice, juice of a lime, glugs of vodka, then top up with diet ginger beer (real is better tasting, but that brings the cals). Sprinle some zest on the top.

In winter a Negroni packs in the percentage, but the sugar probably puts up the cals. However, one is normally enough: equal parts gin, campari and martini rosso. Smashed.
 GrahamD 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Pj84:

Southern comfort for me. After one glass I'll throw up my tea and voila - instant weight loss.
In reply to aultguish:
> (In reply to adamarkley) just hit the hard spirits. At the end of the day, you never see a serious alcoholic with weight issues

Very true. Food is the real enemy. Keep boozing. Eating is cheating.

Ali 27 Nov 2012
In reply to hindu: Perhaps you should invest in some smaller jam jars?

I'd second gin and slim....but my only problem with that is I tend to drink it too fast :oS But I tend to feel a bit better the next day than if I've been drinking wine...
 Clarence 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Pj84:

Campari and soda, it is so foul the one will last you all night...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...