UKC

DMM Fly going leashless post

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andyd1970 24 Nov 2012
I was trying to find the post that tells you how to convert Flys to leashles climbing. Its the lower hand rest I needed to know as someone asked me the question but I couldn't find it. I know there has been loads of postings but I do seam to remember a main one!!
 Milesy 24 Nov 2012
In reply to andyd1970:

I found it but you can't buy the rests any more. They were discontinued and the new models don't fit.
 Martin W 24 Nov 2012
You could try the rests from the new Fly/Apex to see if they can be tweaked to fit (Needlesports do them). Some folks reckon the Grivel Horn can be got to fit. I think the other suggestion was the Grivel Slider but (a) I always thought that would take up too much of the bottom end of the axe grip and upset the balance, and (b) according to Needlesports they aren't available any more either.
OP andyd1970 24 Nov 2012
In reply to andyd1970: I thought so i did have a look round and found most have been discontinued
 weejimmy 24 Nov 2012
In reply to andyd1970:

I used quark pommels and drilled new holes, worked for me.
 CurlyStevo 24 Nov 2012
In reply to Martin W: if you saw off the metal trigger on a grivel trigger you are basically left with a slider. also the old quark grip rest can very sourced still if you look around.
 LakesWinter 24 Nov 2012
In reply to andyd1970: The Grivel sliders work well at the base of the axe but aren't made any more sadly.
 CurlyStevo 24 Nov 2012
In reply to LakesWinter:
as mentioned the grivel triggers work fine and are nearly identical to the sliders once you cut the metal hook off.
 ste_d 25 Nov 2012
In reply to andyd1970: the quark trig rest does fit, you can remove the little drop down trigger, trim the rubber at the bottom of the shaft for a good fit
 birbeck 26 Nov 2012
In reply to ste_d: Sorry to be thick but do you mean using the quark trig rest at the bottom of the axe as a grip rest?
 birbeck 28 Nov 2012
In reply to birbeck: Anyoned tried this or know anything about it?
 jonnie3430 28 Nov 2012
In reply to birbeck:

Tiso sell the old quark griprest for a fiver which works.
 CurlyStevo 28 Nov 2012
In reply to birbeck: the petzl trig rest breaks too easy i wouldn't advise it as a trig rest let alone a grip rest that takes more of a beating.
 Milesy 28 Nov 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:

Thanks. What are people using for the trig rests?
 CurlyStevo 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Milesy:
I'm using the petzl trigrests, they do fit old quarks nicely and are a good shape, but I have broken one already and I know several other people that have too. I'm hypothesising this is exhaborated by not having the trig part in there as there is nothing solid between the plastic parts that screw together. I've now packed the space with washers in the hope they will be stronger but I still think they are on the flimsey side. They break when they hit rock/ice. Personally I carry spares for multi day trips to replace them with if they break.

The Grivel trig rests I think are tougher. I bought some last year but I haven't got around to sawing off the trig part and fitting them yet as I don't have a metal saw and/or vice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...