UKC

Running/Climbing compatability

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 adcat 26 Nov 2012
Used to consider myself primarily a climber but since the summer (due to various circumstances) been doing loads of running. Was training hard, improving steadily and running the best I've ever been, until I started throwing in the odd climb again which seemed to be a spanner in the works and slow me down a bit.

It could of course be down to numerous other factors, but was wondering has anyone else found the same thing? Or is this all in my head? (or legs ho ho)
I've got a few half marathons and one full one on the horizon so not sure whether to sack off the climbing for 2/3 months. Would obviously love to juggle the two though. Thanks.
rgbritton 26 Nov 2012
In reply to adcat:

Eh up,

I'm a runner who took up climbing (specifically bouldering) to help me with my running and build up my core strength. I've never noticed it hindering my running but I have put more muscle on the top half, which isn't really needed on an ultra marathon.

As for giving up climbing to concentrate on the running, depends how much you enjoy each. I used to play football and rugby but gave up both to concentrate on my running because it meant more to me. It helps I was a fair bit better at the running, I mean who ever wants a 11 stone prop?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...