UKC

Which digital camera

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 clochette 26 Nov 2012
I have used a Lumix DMC TZ18 for the last 2 years. I think it's a great compact camera and I especially like the 20x optical zoom. However, 3 times now dust has got into the captor and I have had to pay for it to be cleaned. This 3rd time comes 2 weeks after the last cleaning job and I don't think it's worth paying again as it will surely come back. I have found various reports of similar problems with this Lumix so I assume it must be a fault of this camera. If anyone can elaborate on that I would be grateful.
Meanwhile I am just starting to think I have to buy a new camera and I don't want to risk another Lumix.
I would like a compact (but it doesn't need to be super small) that has a really good zoom for photographing wildlife. I would also like the panorama facility if possible which the Lumix doesn't have.
I take lots of mountain shots, sometimes in the snow. I tend to use the auto facility a lot as I know very little about the other options.
I considered moving up to a bridge camera but it seems the lens is fixed so does this mean cleaning wouldn't be an option there either? And it seems there is no viewfinder on a bridge camera - is that right? If I moved to a bridge camera it would need to have a view finder for photoing birds on zoom.
Please don't suggest an SLR as I have one but it's heavy for general use.
 Simon4 26 Nov 2012
In reply to clochette: There is an inherent problem with Lumix cameras, in that to charge the batteries you have to remove the bottom clasp. Said clasp is quite fragile, repeated removals are guaranteed to cause it to fail with time. So despite good optics, Lumix (and probably other Panasonics) are too fragile for climbing.

I am still trying to find a camera robust enough for climbing/skiing etc, as most compact digital cameras are an accident waiting to happen.
OP clochette 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Simon4: That's interesting, thanks. So do you think dust gets in that way? How is this different to other compact digital cameras?
Since it has been pointed out to me that I didn't put this thread in the most appropriate forum, I have copied my initial question and started the thread again in the photography forum.
 steelbru 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Simon4:
I've been having a wee look at waterproof/dustproof/shockproof type cameras, most manufacturers do at least one in their range.

Haven't found one yet with greater than 5 times optical zoom, I'd prefer 10.

Prices start at just over £100 for Fujifilm XP50 going up to about £250 for the Panasonic and Sony variety.

Anyone used one of these types and got a good recommendation ?

ps To OP, hope you don't see this as a thread hijack, seems related
 Blue Straggler 27 Nov 2012
In reply to clochette:
> (In reply to Simon4) That's interesting, thanks. So do you think dust gets in that way? How is this different to other compact digital cameras?

Dust tends to get onto the sensors of compact digital cameras via zooming the lens - there is always a movement of air in one direction or another, and dust can be sucked through the little gaps. Different cameras will suffer from this to different extents depending on the zoom design.
 krikoman 27 Nov 2012
In reply to clochette: I've got a Canon IS 710 full manual override but no a 10X optical only 6X. Only thing missing is a hotshoe / remote flash, other than that it's great.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...