Winter Climbing forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Are Snowshoes any use ?

SethChili - on 02 Dec 2012
I tend to do a lot of long distance day walking over mainly non technical ground in the winter with the intention of covering lots of ground rather than climbing gullies or ridges . I have an ice axe and know how to use it and have walked a lot in the winter in scotland the lakes and the peak district - I am fairly confidant on my feet . This winter I was thinking about getting some 4 season boots and crampons but this will set me back a heck of a lot for something I have always managed without .
Are the more technical snowshoes any use in the uk ? They usually seem to have a the equivilent of the front points of a crampon built into them but the main advantage for me would be not sinking into the snow .
I know that snowshoes are used a lot on the continent and in the US but are they of pratical value here .
Cheers as I dont really know what I am talking about when it comes to winter kit .
... not showing 11 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums