UKC

Scum Villages

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Billy the fish 04 Dec 2012
Superficially this seems a good idea but is it a defeatist attitude that could push border-line cases into deeper problems?

"Amsterdam is to create "Scum villages" where nuisance neighbours and anti-social tenants will be exiled from the city and rehoused in caravans or containers with "minimal services" under constant police supervision. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/netherlands/9719247/Amster...
In reply to Billy the fish:

Nah, great idea. Can i nominate some families?
Wonko The Sane 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Billy the fish: I don't know if it was policy..... but reckon it must have been, but in Brighton in the 70s and 80s, there definitely appeared to be segregation on council estates.

I grew up in the second worst, Whitehawk. Whitehawk was for troublesome lower class working types and criminals.

If you slipped further, you'd probably soon find yourself rehoused in Moulsecombe. This was a shithole. No attempt was ever made to keep this place livable except for those who really didn't care about their environment.

There were seceral tiers above as well, with Hollingdean being one of the 'white collar' estates.
 MG 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane: Didn't this approach turn out OK in the end in what we now term Australia?
 bouldery bits 04 Dec 2012
In reply to MG:
> (In reply to Wonko The Sane) Didn't this approach turn out OK in the end in what we now term Australia?

I think you're going to have the same problem we have now with Australia - the people who live there already won't be best pleased.
 toad 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Billy the fish: "Sink Estates" was the term
 Timmd 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Billy the fishepends on the results I guess.

The police being there 24hrs is good. Not sure about it.

MG 04 Dec 2012
In reply to bouldery bits:
> (In reply to MG)
> [...]
>
>
> I think you're going to have the same problem we have now with Australia - the people who live there already won't be best pleased.

Isn't it traditional to just kill them or something?

Dauphin 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Timmd:

Presumably they not going to get sprayed/fed with contraceptives so they will end up acculturating franken-scum. Far left /far right agree on so much. In the Nederlands heheheh - it will never happen the police & social workers will be too busy comparing weed.

D
In reply to Dauphin:
> (In reply to Timmd)
>
> Presumably they not going to get sprayed/fed with contraceptives
>
> D

Contraceptives will be supplied as a secret ingredient in Gregg’s pasties. Eating them as a one-off will have no effect, but those with the one-a-day habits will be too fat and sterile to breed.
 Timmd 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Dauphin:It does seem really harsh, and it could perhaps be bad for any children, but a part of me thinks it might be okay if people only need to go there once to become reformed citizens.

Perhaps it's because it's Holland, and the Dutch seem pretty happy with themselves, from what i've read about them, and the handfull of people i've met. I'm sure i've read they're high up in the happiness stakes.

It does seem harsh though.
 Dauphin 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Timmd:

I have a feeling there is an immigrant subtext to this article - I'm sure Nederlands has plenty of Roma / Albanians / Somalis living in social housing and enjoying the benefits of their extensive social benefit systems - while not actually working - which the too cool for school but protestant Dutchfolk raise an eyebrow or two at in between sex parties and the occasional bifter.

D
 Owen W-G 04 Dec 2012
Bad idea, it'll turn into gaza
 wilkie14c 04 Dec 2012
Hurst Farm I think its called, Matlock. Featured in Dead mans shoes. Perfect example.
Pinged 05 Dec 2012

Is that not how liverpool came about?
 dale1968 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Billy the the fish: can't wait for film "scum villages"
 EeeByGum 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Billy the fish: Didn't we already try this?

This was Manchester's best effort and funnily enough, it was knocked down.

http://www.exhulme.co.uk/
Rigid Raider 05 Dec 2012

Up here in Lancs we have Burnley Wood estate in Burnley. A reviewer from the Crap Towns website visited the place and waited 45 minutes for the bus back to town. When eventually it came, it was doing 60 mph and it was on fire. Go figure.
 Skip 05 Dec 2012
In reply to EeeByGum:
> (In reply to Billy the fish) Didn't we already try this?
>
> This was Manchester's best effort and funnily enough, it was knocked down.
>
> http://www.exhulme.co.uk/

Cheers for that. I used to live there.
 Scarab9 05 Dec 2012

this goes on over here now. Might not be as open and format but it happens.

Troublesome neighbors get moved on by the council....where to? Usually there'll be an estate or two where they get moved to which will be a shthole.

I grew up living across the road from a very bad estate and was used to being attacked regularly simply for walking down the street. The accent on one side of the street was totally different from on the other side.

It only changed when the council sold the estate to a private company to manage and they started having a 3 strikes and your out kind of system which meant the scum got moved elsewhere. Not sure where but I bet that's now a sht hole because of it!

not a great solution as it's just moving the problem, but can anyone suggest a better idea really? Particularly if it was official and therefore they could openly have a big police presence as mentioned? It's either that or they live next door to you which you won't like.
mountainmadness 05 Dec 2012

Sounds just like The Wire's Hamsterdam
 Scarab9 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Scarab9:

ps not meaning I think dumping all the problem tenants in one place and leaving them to rot is a good idea, but if we don't want to send people to prison and don't want them living next door to us then having a designated housing area with special facilities to deal with them sounds like it could be a good plan. Would have to be done right though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...