UKC

Ben Cruachan north ridge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wesley Orvis 06 Dec 2012
Heading up to Scotland tomorrow, going to do Ben Cruachan on Saturday, from Glen Noa over the Larig Noa and up the north ridge, anyone know of any avalanche prone slopes thereabouts to watchout for or would i be best just doing it from the resevoir in the south? May sound a bit of a stupid question but never visited the area before, the Lakes is usually my domain.
Thanks for any info and would be greatly apreciated.
In reply to Wesley Orvis:
I think you might find it a bit of a snow wade getting round to the North Ridge via Glen Noe and the Lairig Noe. Apart from that, Saturday's forecast isn't too good- next week outlook is much better - weather should settle down and allow some consolidation. Has been snowing all day today in the West highlands and this falling on an already substantial snow cover. I may go to Cruachan tomorrow as the forecast for Argyll is good- but I expect it to be slow going and will stick to the main ridge.
OP Wesley Orvis 06 Dec 2012

Thanks for the advice, it will be taken, and i will be sticking to main ridge. I don't fancy a chest deep snow wade.
 Gav Parker 06 Dec 2012

Hey Wes have you seen the forecast...very strong winds......
OP Wesley Orvis 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Gav Parker:

I know mate, i am hoping they are wrong, but got the digs booked and time off work so just got to go with it......
 Milesy 07 Dec 2012
> anyone know of any avalanche prone slopes thereabouts to watchout for

Number one preconception is that there are avalanche safe slopes, or avalanche safe hills which is simply untrue. Loosly speaking any slope on any aspect on any hill at any elevation can avalanche given the right conditions even if there have never been any reported avalanches there in a million years. Get a copy of a chance in a million, and learn to read the avalanche forecast which starts this weekend.
OP Wesley Orvis 07 Dec 2012

Thanks for the advice, if that's what you call it.
 Milesy 07 Dec 2012
what would you call it?
 soularch 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Wesley Orvis: Was on Beinn A' Chochuill just to the North of Ben Cruachan today. From 300m wet snow, at 6-700m it was a good ft+ deep, lovely powder and up top 2ft deep with huge scuplted 'dunes' of snow. Hard work indeed, stick to the ridges. Cornices starting to build and a few wee signs of snow movement here and there. Stunning though
Just back from Cruachan- very heavy going. 1-2ft snow ,mainly unconsolidated with some firmer patches. Lovely evening on the way off the top. Much milder today , with freezing level over 800 metres. Southern and Central Highlands hills are pretty well buried - Cobbler now looking very white when I drove up Loch Lomondside this morning. A82 closed(north and south) at Bridge of Orchy this evening following bad accident. North bound traffic being diverted west at Tyndrum.
 David Reid 07 Dec 2012
In repluy to The Watch of Barrisdale:

That accident was very bad indeed passed as I was heading down from Glencoe where the snow had just been drifting all day
In reply to David Reid:
Yes -I heard it was a bad one. Was it near the Glen Orchy turn-off where bridge-work is ongoing?
 David Reid 07 Dec 2012
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

Just further down about a mile north of Tyndrum, if travelling south it was just after the long left hand corner and just before the new Loch Lomond rock stack sign, one cars engine seemed to be missing, must have been around 5 vehicles involved
In reply to David Reid:
Thanks David - didn't realise it was so close to Tyndrum. I couldn't work out why the A85 was so busy as I was heading back from Cruachan.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...