UKC

Worst/best guidebook cover photo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 efrance24234 10 Dec 2012
Worst has to be Yorkshire gritstone bouldering vol 1(2008)
 snoop6060 10 Dec 2012
In reply to efrance24234:

Considering how good the pics are inside, the cover of the rock fax pembroke guide is gash!

And I don't quite get the old Yorkshire grit guide one with big John dunne on widdop wall (i think)There appears to be a rope going around the corner. Not sure what the deal is with that.
In reply to efrance24234: The cover of Western Grit is very poor, a close up of someone graunching up the top of Commander Energy. Considering the amazing rock formations and views, that really shouldn't have even made the inside, let alone the cover.

The old/current NE England guide doesn't do much better. The CC Avon & Cheddar one with Lucy Creamer posing with a mobile on her rack is pretty ropey; great colours, but you know she's vogue-ing on a route 20 grades too easy for her.
 Robert Durran 10 Dec 2012

Worst I can think of is the current Cairngorms one.
 Enty 10 Dec 2012
In reply to efrance24234: Yosemite Big Walls (3rd Edition)

Not a particularly good shot anyway but is relevant to about 1% of people who would buy the book.

E
 verygneiss 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Robert Durran:
> (In reply to efrance24234)
>
> Worst I can think of is the current Cairngorms one.

Visit the Cairngorms! You too can top out on Fingers Ridge in the fog!
 peewee2008 10 Dec 2012
In reply to snoop6060: I think he is doing Savage Earth, that started round the corner up to the good hold on the arete then finished up Widdop Wall.
 johnwright 10 Dec 2012
> Worst has to be Yorkshire gritstone bouldering vol 1(2008)

The Yorkshire gristone guide from way back when, had some poor cover photos.
In reply to efrance24234: The old Wye Valley guide was shocking throughout, the cover was a view of Chris Craggs' arse!. This was taken note of and the new one is a vast improvement, the cover photo is great (of the guy who used to give me dead arms in maths lessons with one inch punches)!
 t_stork 11 Dec 2012
 grubes 11 Dec 2012
I dont mind the yorks grit bouldering one.
However the worst for me are
El chorro - completely uninspiring and shows nothing of the quality of the area.
West grit - What were you thinking seriously?

Best:
The new bouldering guide to ireland - Inspiring!
Over the moors - High up, exposed, isolated. represents what moorland grit is all about.
Squamish select 2012 - wow!
Llanberis Slate is good too
 alex 11 Dec 2012

Yes, I agree. Hold on, thats my pic. But, yes, it's pretty old fashioned now.
 alan moore 11 Dec 2012
Best:
Black and white shot of Peter Crew soloing Charity on the old Ogwen Guide.
Worst:
The new Northern Highlands guides; no moors, no space, no sea, just inconsiquential bits of rock and attendant punter.
OP efrance24234 11 Dec 2012
In reply to efrance24234: I think the new Cheshire and Merseyside Sandstone cover shot is pritty good. The newer Tremadog one is gash!
 Skyfall 11 Dec 2012

> The newer Tremadog one is gash!

sniff, that's me
OP efrance24234 11 Dec 2012
In reply to JonC: don't take it personal I just don't think it's as good as some other photos of Tremadog. Just my opinion.
 Simon Caldwell 11 Dec 2012
In reply to t_stork:
I like the Cairngorms picture, very moody and makes me want to go there.

The NE England cover is pretty uninspiring - though might be better if you can appreciate bouldering photos.
 Robert Durran 11 Dec 2012
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to t_stork)
> I like the Cairngorms picture, very moody and makes me want to go there.

A bimbly summer route in the mist? When given the whole majesty of the Cairngorms summer or winter?
 Simon Caldwell 11 Dec 2012
In reply to Robert Durran:
> A bimbly summer route in the mist?

I'd rather a photo of a route that I can do, than the usual far-too-hard-to-contemplate dare
 Rubbishy 11 Dec 2012
In reply to johnwright:

THe 1989 one was Streaky on Wawleska wasn't it - I recall his trews were proper bobby dazzlers.
In reply to JonC:
>
> [...]
>
> sniff, that's me

I'm sorry, but it's true
 lithos 11 Dec 2012
best is the old cloggy guide wit JJ soloing The Axe in yellow ron hills early morning

worst - dunno
 Owen W-G 11 Dec 2012
The old Wye Valley guide with a pic of Chris Craggs arse
 EddieC 11 Dec 2012
In reply to John Rushby:

Didn't the 1989 Yorkshire Grit guide have the Big Greeny on the cover, bathed in tropical-looking sunshine? That guide had a lot of good photos in it. In contrast, the 1998 guide had some shockers - one of someone udging up a chimney at the Bridestones spring to mind.

I don't like the FRCC Gable and Pillar cover photo as it's too gimmicky. The Eastern Crags cover is great though.
 Mattyk 11 Dec 2012
In reply to efrance24234: one of the best is the cover of the rockfax Lofoten guide.
In reply to Mattyk:
> (In reply to efrance24234) one of the best is the cover of the rockfax Lofoten guide.

What is it you like about the photo of Matt Kilner at the top of pitch 9 of Vestpillaren?

I remember when Mark G and I did the route about 2 months after the guide had come out, I was surprised to find that that particular photo was taken on one of the least remarkable bits on the route which considering it is 500m of almost unrelenting quality climbing was quite curious. You can't tell this from the photo though.

Alan
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 11 Dec 2012
In reply to Owen W-G:
> The old Wye Valley guide with a pic of Chris Craggs arse

That was a bit odd. John put a call out for photos for the guide, so I sent about 20 - much to my surprise they used most of them including that cover shot. Maybe they were a bit desperate?

Chris
 The Ivanator 11 Dec 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: A finer pair of buttocks will n'eer be seen.
http://wyedean.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Wye-Valley-Climbing-Guide1....
 robw007 11 Dec 2012

Best:
BMC Recent Developments guide - 1977 - Bancroft on Strapadictomy in his rolled up jeans
The Cloggy Guide with someone silhouetted on the arete of Shrike

Worst
The 94 CC guide to the Pass is pretty uninspiring
And I have to agree with the recent western grit vote
 MNA123 11 Dec 2012
In reply to snoop6060:
>
> Considering how good the pics are inside, the cover of the rock fax pembroke guide is gash!

Agreed,i was thinking this just the other day as i was perusing the guide gettin syked for a trip there next april.

Bulls Crack 11 Dec 2012

I nominate that current N Wales one of the Superdirect on Dinas Mot - great photo and also an excellent example of why 2 ropes are better than 1 on routes like this.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...