ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Your worst ever Abseil.

davidbeynon - on 12 Dec 2012
I find myself unable to contribute to the thread about favourite abseils as the concept of abseiling as an inherently enjoyable experience is a bit alien to me, so how about a "worst abseils" thread.

For me it was something on my first ever foreign climbing trip. We had gone off route descending from Bispen*, and was working my way down a choss covered ledge system.

It was getting dark, and safe ground was in sight but we had to do an ab to get to it. Unfortunately we couldn't see the ends of the (single 60m) rope due to an overhang. Best anchor available was a largish rock that was kind of stuck into a crack but moved alarmingly when prodded.

I don't mind saying I was bricking it all the way to terra firma and I haven't had a good word to say about abseiling since.

*How? By being a pair of numpties with far less mountain experience than we thought we had of course!
... not showing 55 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums