/ Thats enough figure 8 / bowline threads for now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
rockcat - on 19 Dec 2012
How about a constrictor knot versus clove hitch thread?
The Ex-Engineer - on 19 Dec 2012
No it is not enough.

There is plenty more to be said.

We have not even had anyone comment on the inherent chirality of figure-of-8 and stopper knots and hence fully enumerate the 8 non-identical variations of the basic tie-in method thus arising...
Siward on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

Chirality! Excellent new word for today.
myserable old git - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to rockcat: What about the reef knot/granny it could run for months.
Robert Durran - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:
> We have not even had anyone comment on the inherent chirality of figure-of-8 and stopper knots and hence fully enumerate the 8 non-identical variations of the basic tie-in method thus arising...

This reminds me of a climber I once met whon was a mathematician specialising in knot theory in n-dimensions. He also apparently had a reputation for always getting his ropes hopelessly kinked and tangled.
ripper - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Robert Durran:
> (In reply to The Ex-Engineer)
> [...]
>
> This reminds me of a climber I once met whon was a mathematician specialising in knot theory in n-dimensions. He also apparently had a reputation for always getting his ropes hopelessly kinked and tangled.

less chirality, more hilarity
toad - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to rockcat: I'm not getting roped into this thread
In reply to rockcat:

What does surprise me is the number of people who appear to accept a statement as fact (for whatever reason) rather than get a piece of rope and do a few experiments so you KNOW what the situation is.


Chris
yogi2749 - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to toad:

> (In reply to rockcat) I'm not getting roped into this thread.

Amazing!
JDOD on 19 Dec 2012
I am new to this can someone summarise the figure 8/bowline debate?

FYI, when I am not using a figure 8 I tie the rope around my neck like a noose - I find it gives me extra motivation to not fall off.
ChrisJD on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to toad:
> (In reply to rockcat) I'm not getting roped into this thread

I'd rather knot either...
Alun - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> What does surprise me is the number of people who appear to accept a statement as fact (for whatever reason) rather than get a piece of rope and do a few experiments so you KNOW what the situation is.

I couldn't agree more, Chris. I used a bowline for several years, before one day seeing a perfect double-bowline, which I had tied myself not 5 minutes previously, unravel before my eyes as I sat down to put my shoes on. Twas all the experimental evidence I needed.
pog100 - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Robert Durran:
> (In reply to The Ex-Engineer)
> [...]
>
> This reminds me of a climber I once met whon was a mathematician specialising in knot theory in n-dimensions. He also apparently had a reputation for always getting his ropes hopelessly kinked and tangled.

Not Tom B. by any chance?
Alun - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to ChrisJD:

Unless I'm very much mistaken
Somebody might get hurt
Even they tie their knot correctly

And I'm not sure what the best way forward is.

Frankly, the whole situation is a mess.
I get confused as to which knot is best.
Granted, the situation is complicated, but
Unless I'm very much mistaken, the
Reality is that you should use whatever you're happy with.
Even if you're wrong. That way you'll live to be
80 years old.

:P
Ramblin dave - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to ChrisJD:
> (In reply to toad)
> [...]
>
> I'd rather knot either...

The quality of posts certainly isn't bowline me over...
Bulls Crack - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Robert Durran:
> (In reply to The Ex-Engineer)
> [...]
>
> This reminds me of a climber I once met whon was a mathematician specialising in knot theory in n-dimensions. He also apparently had a reputation for always getting his ropes hopelessly kinked and tangled.

You mean strings surely?
cuppatea on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to Robert Durran)
> [...]
>
> You mean strings surely?

Surely knot!
ChrisJD on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Ramblin dave:
> (In reply to ChrisJD)
> [...]
>
> The quality of posts certainly isn't bowline me over...

This thread could be your undoing....don't loosen up

cuppatea on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to rockcat:

Thats enough figure 8 / bowline threads for now

I'm a frayed knot! :D




That's me done. I can't think of any more knot puns.
nowler - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to rockcat: i didn't think so many people would bight....
ChrisJD on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to cuppatea:
> (In reply to rockcat)
>
> That's me done. I can't think of any more knot puns.

You should harness your imagination
rgold - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to ChrisJD:

There once was a climber named Jock
who tied a bowline to his cock.
When he fell it undid---
from its moorings it slid;
he was glad that the knot did not lock.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.