Winter Climbing forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Anyone planning to be in Nthn Corries this weekend

jhw - on 19 Dec 2012
What is the view given the forecasts on MWIS and SAIS?

It looks like high southeasterly winds but do these in themselves affect climbing on north-facing slopes like Sneachda?

It also looks like there will be windslab affecting north-west facing slopes (i.e., Sneachda) but am I right in thinking that the routes on Fiacaill will be less exposed to avalanche risk in these circumstances (albeit more exposed to the high winds above).

What about just going for buttress and ridge routes? Or will you be exposed to avalanche risk on the approaches, and will the topouts be loaded?

I've also looked at other crags in the area and saw Etchachan had a different aspect but these all look exposed to the same avalanche risk if you walk in over the Goat Track (is it possible to walk in via the ski pistes though).

Basically I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to get around what appears in general to be a poor forecast. Sorry if these questions belie a lack of knowledge of the area - I've climbed a few times there but this is the first trip I've conceived and planned from scratch. The reason we're looking for a justification to climb this weekend is that it's rare we get a chance to climb in Scotland and we understand a long-term thaw is predicted after this weekend. I'm conscious that these are human factors that shouldn't impede our decision-making but any guidance as to whether there's any justification for making the trip up this weekend is appreciated.

... not showing 20 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums