UKC

North West conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KennyWright 02 Jan 2013
Has anyone got any info about the north west? Have any lines survived the thaw?
 chiz 02 Jan 2013
In reply to KennyWright:
Its very wet and warm down low. Just walked in to Loch na Sealga today and was very mild and raining. No views up into the hills for last two days apart from fleeting glimpses of bare mountain, but yesterday was good for cragging on the coast.
Sorry can't be more help.
In reply to KennyWright:
OK until yesterday/ Has been raining all day today in Torridon. 10 degrees at sea level. This mild weather will continue for at least the next week. I expect local hills to be completely bare within the next few days. I was on Beinn Eighe oh Hogmanay. Snow conditions were good , but a very broken cover even then.
OP KennyWright 02 Jan 2013
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

the met office suggest that there might be a re-freeze overnight

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/loutdoor/mountainsafety/westhighland/westhighla...

I wonder if there is anything left to re-freeze?
Jim C 02 Jan 2013
thanks for this, I have been off since 17th Dec and with bad weather in the West and 'other commitments ' I have not even had my boots on!. I could not even see Ben Lomond from Balloch today !
I was going to head North tonight in ,desperation, but having second thoughts now.
In reply to KennyWright:
Probably not a lot. Freezing level above the tops again tomorrow. Temperature still at 10 degrees in my garden, 100 metres above Gairloch. I'm afraid as far as the north-west is concerned winter will be back to square one again by the middle of next week.
 Andy Moles 05 Jan 2013

How much snow cover is left up there now?
In reply to Andy Moles:
Almost all gone. Patches in corries and gullies. Sea level temperature here has not dropped below 9 degrees(day or night) since last Tuesday. 11 degrees today in Gairloch
 BnB 05 Jan 2013
In reply to KennyWright:

Hardly anything in Glen Shiel this morning. Just a few gullys at the Loch Cluanie end (Druim Schonaich). Would be possible to do a sugary slidey ascent/descent, but nowt in condition.

Skye has a few lines above 800m but again very soggy and mild.
 Jim Fraser 06 Jan 2013
In reply to BnB:
> (In reply to KennyWright)
>
> Hardly anything in Glen Shiel this morning. Just a few gullys at the Loch Cluanie end (Druim Schonaich). Would be possible to do a sugary slidey ascent/descent, but nowt in condition.
>
> Skye has a few lines above 800m but again very soggy and mild.

Wait 'til Wednesday. Remember your transceiver and shovel next week. And don't blink or you'll miss it.
 Steve Perry 06 Jan 2013
In reply to KennyWright: Views of Ben Hope this morning show only streaks of snow. The far north is completely sodden, we had fun crossing burns exiting Cape Wrath yesterday.
 James Edwards 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Steve Perry:
Very little snow on an teallach and Ben Wyvis today. A bit more in the fannichs but I wouldn't get too excited.
Very summery at 900m even in 60mph winds.
James
 radioshed 09 Jan 2013
Anyone been upto liathach/allagin/eighe?
I guess there is next to no snow on the ridges at the moment?
In reply to KennyWright:
I was in The Fannichs today. Heavy drizzle and strong wind until mid afternoon when it cleared. A very little fresh wet snow above 1000 metres- and I mean a VERY little. Older snow patches in gullies and corries only. Freezing level was higher than 1200 metres. Getting colder over the next few days but it will take a lot to bring the NW back into condition
 radioshed 10 Jan 2013
Looks nice weather for the weekend atleast!
In reply to radioshed:
Yes. Torridon was also nice today, albeit completely snowless. We might get a bit on Sunday, but dry cold and settled on Friday and Saturday
 PAJames 12 Jan 2013
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale: There is a slight dusting of snow on the summits now. http://pjmountains.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/12-01-13-liatach-torridon-winter....
In reply to PAJames:
I know - I was on Ben Alligin today - it was lovely. Met 2 lads from Heriot-Watt MC who had done Liathach AND Ben Alligin today. Oh to be young again!
PS I can see Ben Alligin And Baosbheinn from my front window
Snowing on the tops tonight and more showers tomorrow and Monday. Hope to give a conditions report on Tuesday
 Nic DW 14 Jan 2013
In reply to KennyWright:

Was in Kintail this weekend. On Saturday there were few remaining lines with sparce snow and frozen conditions above 900 m. On saturday night there was fresh snow down to about 500 m, which continued to accumulate on sunday. If it stays cold i think it could be good come mid-week.
 Mike Cross 15 Jan 2013
In reply to KennyWright:

Does anyone have any more updates on north-west conditions?

Cheers,
 Col Kingshott 15 Jan 2013
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale: Do you think the current weather is likely to bring into condition routes on either Beinn Dearg or Sgurr Na Feartaig? I've never climbed in these areas but from the weather forecasts it seems like a decent freeze cycle is happening. If not then we'll probably be heading for Fort William. Looking at travelling up this Sunday.
In reply to colk1000:
was in the Fannichs today on Sgurr nan Clach Geala and Sgurr Mor. Snow to road level. A lot of unconsolidated powder at the moment with no sign of ice. Old neve is brick hard however. It will take a bit of freeze/thaw to bring the areas you ask about into condition. Most of the lying snow has essentially only fallen since Saturday night. Suspect there will be more snow on Friday/Saturday so that may not be helpful. Glorious day however, with mists in glens and tops clear in the sunshine. An Teallach looking fantastic - should make a good traverse at the moment, albeit with a bit of powder until it blows a bit clearer. All in all a lovely day to be out.
 Col Kingshott 15 Jan 2013
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale: Thank you. An Teallach traverse was also on the list so may still head up.

Col.
In reply to colk1000: On Beinn Alligin yesterday. Snow up to a foot deep, sort of consolidated (would break in to lumps), but basically powder. Gorgeous blue sky day. Turf mostly frozen on the horns, but no neve or ice to speak off. Some nervy moves getting up to horns (soft snow overlying steep heather or rock). Glad we took a light rope. Coire descent just the right consistency to walk down without crampons. Fab day out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...