/ Conditions in Scotland?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Confused Chimp on 08 Jan 2013
Have been planning on booking a winter mountaineering course the last week of January up in Scotland. This will be my first foray into winter climbing, but with the mild start to the year I've been holding off on booking, as I have been concerned the conditions might mean we don't get to full benefit of the course and when your spend the sums of money involved you want to get your monies worth. The intended area is Glencoe/Ben Nevis.

So just wondering what conditions are like up there with a view of a novice winter climber looking to learn?

Whats the likelihood of good conditions for it?

Regards and thanks.
CC
JohnnyBoy59 on 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Confused Chimp:
I took part in a winter course a few years ago in Glencoe and the conditions were great which made it totally worthwhile. However, this year is really mild and hardly any snow. There's a Ben Nevis webcam on the tourist information site, just to show you the total lack of snow.
Maybe hold off till late February early March, in the hope for better weather.
It's a lot of money to spend if there's not enough snow.
Hope this of some use?

Johnny
Andy Nisbet - on 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Confused Chimp:

There's always an element of chance. Last year the last week in January was the best of the whole winter. If the time suits, I would just go ahead and book.
davy_boy - on 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Confused Chimp: whoever you book it with should have enough local knowledge to find some better conditions as there is usualy always something in condition it might just be more remote or a longer drive away. also forecast to turn colder this week with snow on the way again.
CurlyStevo - on 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Confused Chimp:
I think there will probably be enough snow left in the major gullies for a course, but personally I'd consider leaving in until mid feb, better chance of things being in good nick then IMO.
CurlyStevo - on 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Confused Chimp:
That said if you could delay booking for at least a week I would, see what happens with this cold burst of weather thats forecast!
Jamie B - on 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Confused Chimp:

Is it a Mountaineering or a Climbing course? If the former conditions need not be such a big factor, as long as there is snow on the ground (and there is) the instructor will be able to keep the content valid. To be honest, for that level of course high winds are a far bigger obstacle to learning than high temperatures.
CurlyStevo - on 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:
Whilst I'm sure that's true..... but imagine how much more exciting going in to the highlands is when there is a good snow covering as compared to a few remaining patches.
george mc - on 08 Jan 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to Jamie Bankhead)
> Whilst I'm sure that's true..... but imagine how much more exciting going in to the highlands is when there is a good snow covering as compared to a few remaining patches.

For sure you can hang off - but if everyone does that when the conditions get good your chances of getting on a course will be greatly reduced - chance you take. Hows to say that mid February won't be the windiest/snowiest/snowless one for decades...
CurlyStevo - on 08 Jan 2013
In reply to george mc:
"Hows to say that mid February won't be the windiest/snowiest/snowless one for decades... "

Yeah typical Winter gamble scenario for me now I'm living down south, last year I gambled and lost..... should have gone late Jan :( That said the year before I was a winner :)
Ben Abbott - on 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Confused Chimp: I would suggest you go ahead and book it. A few days makes a huge difference to the weather conditions, and if your Course Provider is switched on ( which i'm sure they will be) then they will have lots of plans to make sure the week works.

If you hold off you may regret it.
MG - on 08 Jan 2013
In reply to george mc: Are the weasels not helping this year?
Milesy - on 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Andy Nisbet:
> There's always an element of chance. Last year the last week in January was the best of the whole winter. If the time suits, I would just go ahead and book.

28th of January - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvKD09PG4Wk - It was a stonking day
JohnnyW - on 08 Jan 2013
In reply to MG:
> (In reply to george mc) Are the weasels not helping this year?

Yeah, c'mon George, what are the weasels saying!? ;o)
Jamie B - on 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Confused Chimp:

Echo what others have said; there is simply no way of saying how conditions/weather late Jan will stack up against Feb. Could be better, could be worse. You take your chances, but you *will* get something done.
Sam Simpson - on 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Confused Chimp: we are going up anyway this weekend for potential climbing on saturday and sunday, the idea is play it by ear, but looking at the current forecast could anyone let me know what might come in... this post obviously confirms I am no expert. Staying in Cairngorms first night then over towards fort william second night. any sort of suggestion would be appreciated.
Sam Simpson - on 09 Jan 2013
In reply to samsimpson: oops just saw the first thread, sorry might have been slightly off topic just thought this was a scotland conditions general post!
scottie390 - on 09 Jan 2013
Ben Conditions from this morning

http://daviescott.blogspot.co.uk/
Pids - on 09 Jan 2013
In reply to scottie390:
> Ben Conditions from this morning
>
> http://daviescott.blogspot.co.uk/

hmm, thanks for that - it may only be Wednesday but kind of confirmed what my plans for the weekend are - biking
The Grist - on 09 Jan 2013
In reply to samsimpson: An ascent of Fall Out Corner in rock shoes may be a possibility?
Sam Simpson - on 09 Jan 2013
In reply to The Grist: might be for definite!
ads.ukclimbing.com
AlH - on 09 Jan 2013
In reply to samsimpson: Cairngorms today- still very little snow but at least it froze today: http://alanhalewood.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/wintery-at-last-couloir.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.