UKC

iPod/iTunes experts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hey all,

I've just ripped a CD to MP3 in a folder on my HDD.

Ive then drag and dropped to my iPod Nano Touch which shows the album and tracks in the proper order.

When I then go to select the album on the iPod, rather than appear as 1 single album in which the songs are listed, each song appears as a separate album, sometimes with two songs attached to that 'album'. Does that make sense?

Does anyone know how I can rectify this as when I am running I cant be changing the 'album' every time the song ends?

I have removed and repeated the process twice but now change.

Getting iTunes to manage my stored music is a no-no too as I have done this before and when iTune had fininshed scanning and organising my personal MP3s it made a royal hash of it.
 Arcticboy 09 Jan 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Just to clarify - you haven't imported the album into iTunes?
In reply to Arcticboy: I didnt import them, just drag and dropped.

Is there a way to import rather than drag and drop?
 Nigel Modern 09 Jan 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: I think it's due to the titling.

Make them all 'Part of a compilation' and possibly make sure they are properly numbered as tracks...Oh, and check they are all down as part of the same album.

Select them all, press funny Apple key thingy and then the 'i' key. It will ask you something - say 'yes' then go to Options for the compilation thing and info for the rest.
 Arcticboy 09 Jan 2013

If you open itunes and go to the file menu (i think) there is an "Add to library" command (or similar, depending on OS) then just follow the prompts and find the album in your mp3 folder.

Once in itunes, highlight all the album tracks, right click and click on get info, this will bring up the info on the tracks, one of the tabs will show you a list of fields like "Album Title", "Author" etc. In the Album title field type the Album title (funny that).

When you exit this info box, the tracks should all now be shown as part of the same album.

Hope this helps.
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: The thing is, they all appear correctly in iTunes, its when I disconnect and browse on the iPod that they dont appear in the single album.

Will one of the above two fixes sort this out.

Oh, and thanks by the way, the both of you.
 Arcticboy 09 Jan 2013

Thats weird! However i recall having a similar problem with a Snow Patrol album (sorry) so I created a playlist of the album instead.
 abh 09 Jan 2013

Hi DB,

I'm with you on this one....the songs seem to be grouped on my iPod nano, when I view them in iTunes, but when it comes to actually playing them on the iPod ( after disconnecting from my pc) they appear as single songs....

In fact I have found that as they release newer version of iTunes, I find it harder to use....

If you manage to solve the above, can you explain in simple terms please....

Cheers
 papashango 09 Jan 2013

You could add the songs into a playlist titled 'whatever the Album Name is'?
 Phil West 09 Jan 2013

I've had this quite a few times. It's all down to the data in the song files.

Go into iTunes and open the album, select song one and go to File/Get Info (cmd i).
Then make sure all the info there is correct - artist name, album name, year, etc.
Press 'next' which will take you to the same info for song two. Check all the data is exactly the same except for the song number. Make sure compilation is set to No unless it is one.
Check the Artwork tab too to make sure exactly the same image is on each song.
When you've checked all the songs on the album, click ok.
Connect your iPod to iTunes and delete the album from the iPod.
Drag the album back onto your iPod.
Eject.
This *should* fix it. A bit of trial and error and you'll sort it. pesky spaces in artist names or a different name in artist than album artist and you're knackered. Use copy and paste to ensure your data is the same throughout.

Good luck!

Phil
 Mike Nolan 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Phil West: If you select all the songs before going into Get Info, anything you type will be changed for every track. What I usually do to fix this is:

Select all the songs
Right click
"Get info"
Retype the 'artist', 'album title' etc. (Everything apart from the name of the song)

This usually works.

Like somebody mentioned earlier, try importing it properly rather than just dragging and dropping, although I don't think this makes much difference.

Mike
 knighty 10 Jan 2013

Mike Nolan's going down the right path there.

It happens because the artists in each track is different. I personally don't like losing the featured artist info, so I tend to delete the featured artists from the artist field, and add them to the song title in (ft. ).

This tends to do the trick. I have a classic, but apparently if you have the songs on a phone or on the newer gen ipods then you can sort artist fields by album artist. That makes SO much more sense to me..
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Thanks all, Ill try a few f these the next time I am at the right PC.
 alooker 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Mike Nolan: this

> Getting iTunes to manage my stored music is a no-no too as I have done this before and when iTune had fininshed scanning and organising my personal MP3s it made a royal hash of it.

I would recommend looking at MediaMonkey as a media manager, then.

IMHO, it pisses all over iTunes, and will sync selected music to iThings (although you need elements of iTunes installed to provide drivers for the iThing), and will pull music from an iThing to your PC, undoing the iTunes file name obfuscation.

It's free.

Assuming you have a PC; it only runs under Windows.
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Itunes sucks hairy balls.

Look at all the solutions offered above and ask yourself why this monopolistic "cutting edge" music software is such rubbish.
In reply to stroppygob:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers) Itunes sucks hairy balls.
>
> Look at all the solutions offered above and ask yourself why this monopolistic "cutting edge" music software is such rubbish.

I completely agree. iTunes drives me nuts.

i havent been on my home PC for a few days yet so apologies everyone, ill report back on the suggestions when I do over the weekend.

abh 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Mike Nolan:

Hi, thanks. This worked for me. The albums which initially didn't group had blank artist and album artist, so I filled them in, and it is now showing as one album.

Cheers
 Glyno 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Mike Nolan:

another big thanks from me too

I've been trying to get round this issue for ages, followed your instructions and it's worked a treat!

Glyn
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Great stuff, ill have a look over the weekend and see what happens. Looks promising for me too. What a helpful lot you are.
 abh 13 Jan 2013

Hi all,

One more thing. It looks like the songs have been grouped together, so it appears as one album. However, it looks like plays the songs individually I.e. stops after each track, rather than playing through the album.

Any suggestions for this?

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...