UKC

leaping from the top of froggatt pinnacle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BolderLicious 11 Jan 2013
Do you know anyone who has made the jump from the top of froggatt pinnacle
to the cliff top? I have heard about this but never met anyone who did it.
Must be scary as hell!
 Offwidth 11 Jan 2013
In reply to BolderLicious:

Are you going for the daily new thread posting record?
OP BolderLicious 11 Jan 2013
Only today!!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 11 Jan 2013
> Do you know anyone who has made the jump from the top of froggatt pinnacle
> to the cliff top? I have heard about this but never met anyone who did it.
> Must be scary as hell!

Yes - he broke his ankle. He said he believed that was the normal way off.
When he was better he put the bolt in the top of the Pinnacle.

Chris
 ianstevens 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs: Sounds a lot like personal experience...
bill briggs1 11 Jan 2013
In reply to BolderLicious: Yes, saw Les Ainsworth do it , then he did a head stand on top of the Tegness Pinnacle to round off the day ( 40 + years ago ).
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 11 Jan 2013
In reply to ianstevens:

> (In reply to Chris Craggs) Sounds a lot like personal experience...

Nope, not me - I have always had much more sense than trying that!

Chris
 Mark Kemball 11 Jan 2013
In reply to BolderLicious: Back in the day, the landing was much higher and soft peat (so I'm told). Angela Carson made the jump in the early '80s and broke both ankles. (The peat had long gone by then.)
 dominic lee 11 Jan 2013
In reply to BolderLicious: Dared the leap back in the early 80'S with Dan,was it called Cooks leap? The landing was very hard as were most landings back then..a mat would come in useful.....just don't fall backwards down the gully from the landing.
 Adam Long 11 Jan 2013

I've done it a couple of times, though from a ledge on the E side rather than a running jump off the top. I've done Huntsman's leap a few times in a similar fashion. There's a trickier one onto the Cioch at Burbage across the gully to its left.
 Sean Kelly 11 Jan 2013
In reply to BolderLicious: I am sure that Alf Bridge probably did it first, especially as he was very much into this jumping off/falling thing!
 Adam Long 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I would love to have seen some footage of Alf in action, especially the Black slab descent, though I guess none exists. You wonder how much chinese whispers have played a part in the myth making, though looking at the footage of Dolphin? at Almscliff in Dawes' film, its clear the art of descending was given more attention than now.
 Graham Hoey 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Adam Long:

You should try the Monkey Jump at Wharncliffe, that's a real gripper involving a turn in mid-air to enter the cave backwards and the need to tuck up to avoid cracking your head open! Never again!
 Ed Booth 12 Jan 2013
In reply to BolderLicious: I have done it from a running jump to aim for the slopey ledge just in front of the main flat ground. Risky but good fun and not too bad if you commit. E3 5b.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...