UKC

The ever exciting topic of travel insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pink_hippy 14 Jan 2013
Sorry to come with something so boring, but I am going to Peru for a year to work and the insurance work provides me sucks. Does anyone know of any companies that do long term policies - that cover rock climbing and various other adventure activities - for reasonable prices?
STA travel seem to be my best bet although I have to buy a full 'premium' travel policy. BMC seems super expensive and you have to declare that you're not living or working abroad (which would be a lie obviously). I have just discovered the "Adventure Sport Top Up" policies offered by Sports Cover Direct, but that looks like it's going to be twice the price of STA travel insurance!
Any ideas, advice and personal experience (preferably with reference to insurance) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Jen
 Blue Straggler 14 Jan 2013
In reply to pink_hippy:

http://travelinsuranceweb.com/

I have never had to test what they are like when making a claim but they get good reviews. Sorry for short answer, it's late. Google them
 Blue Straggler 14 Jan 2013
In reply to pink_hippy:

Sorry I skim read your OP and had not spotted the work thing. Not sure if my link will be relevant to you but check it out anyway, you never know
 peas65 15 Jan 2013
In reply to pink_hippy:

We got LV premium- covers trekking up to 6000m and rock climbing with a helmet, there is some small print about being supervised or qualified for climbing. I am an instructor so not too bothered about that, but you may want to phone them. Also includes loads of other adventure sports.

Significantly cheaper than BMC/snowcard and includes some very good cover COst us £99for a joint annual premium. Guess you would probably have to pay more to travel for the full year but worth a phone call.
OP pink_hippy 15 Jan 2013
Thanks both for your ideas!

In reply to peas65:
LV are significantly cheaper, but the whole instructor issue could be a problem. STA are certainly the best designed for people wanting to do adventure sports: the highest limits (hiking/trekking up to 6000m) and everything included, even ice climbing and paragliding (as standard and tandem isn't even specified).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...