UKC

Scotland holiday, mid August, with 2 children - suggestions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave Todd 16 Jan 2013
We're looking at the possibility of spending a couple of weeks in Scotland over the school summer hols, likely to be the first 2 weeks in August. Maybe 1 week of camping, 1 week in a cottage. Children will be 7 and (almost) 5. I've spent quite a few weeks in Scotland in the past but generally in the most predictable of places (Skye, Torridon, Glen Coe area) so keen to try somewhere else, maybe east coast? possibly up the coast from Aberdeen / Inverness.

Does anyone have any recommendations on midge avoidance / nice campsites (happy with basic facilities, but would like it to be quiet-ish) / interesting beaches / places to go with 2 youngish children (who like being outdoors, cycling, beaches, castles, nature - the usual stuff) etc etc...

Any personal recommendations on cottages or similar?

Thanks!
 Jack Frost 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Dave Todd:

Avoiding midges & camping in Scotland in summer is a big ask.

You could try one of the many beach campsites north of Arisaig. Sunnyside Croft is meant to be good (not stayed myself) http://www.sunnysidecroft.co.uk/index.htm

Lovely beaches, and close enough to the sea to avoid the worst midges....

Also a few self-catering places in the area. Stuff to do: walking, sandcastles, steam train, day trip to Eigg, Knoydart.

Alternatively you could go east to the Moray coast where midge is less prevalent. I've spent a week in the excellent C&C campsite in Huntly, but that's still a good drive from the coast. Loads of castles, hills etc nearby.
Removed User 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Dave Todd:

I must say I find the East coast a bit dull but Dornoch has got a nice beach and a good climate.

Have you thought about the North coast? Bettyhill and Tongue are nice places with lots of nice beaches.
 Sherlock 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Removed User:
The North Coast is an excellent suggestion bar the usual warnings about midges.
 Mike-W-99 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Dave Todd:
Scourie is nice and quiet. Has a campsite , pub etc. We stayed in a cottage which was excellent (on streetview its the 1st house on the left if coming in from the south past the big radio transmitter)

Lots of beaches, hills, climbing etc nearby. It wasn't midge season when we were there so couldnt comment on August.
 Gordonbp 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Dave Todd: Just down the coast from Scourie is Achiltibuie. Unfortunately the campsite we used to stay on has apparently closed, but this one (just down the road) looks pretty good.
http://www.portabhaigh.co.uk/
As to midges, you'll get them everywhere in August, but on the coast, only when the breeze drops (which isn't very often).
Achiltibuie is great for kids scrambling about on the cliffs at Rheiff, there are two great pubs (An Furan and the Summer Isles Hotel)
Douglas Griffin 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Dave Todd:

Have you been to Mull, and in particular the Ross of Mull?

Shell sand beaches and beautiful pink granite, and the most incredible variety of wildlife (you're practically guaranteed to see seals, and eagles/sea eagles are a strong possibility too). This applies to Mull in general. From the Ross can fairly easily make your way over to Ardmeanach and Loch na Keal, both of which have very dramatic volcanic scenery - think Trotternish. There are endless possibilities for coastal walks.

If you're after history, Iona is a 10-minute ferry ride from Fionnphort. Duart Castle is 45 minutes away by car.

As a base for all this, there's a very nice camp site on the machair at Fidden Farm.

If you're looking for a cottage on the Ross of Mull, this one at Bunessan is fantastic: http://www.holidaycottagemull.co.uk/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...