Running forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Are Big Feet An Advantage or Not ?

steelbru - on 17 Jan 2013
Random thought that occupied part of my run this morning......Are bigger or smaller feet most beneficial to efficient fast running do you think ?

Ignoring the fact that bigger feet will weigh slightly more, and the shoes will also weigh more, from a pure bio-mechanical point of view which would be best ?

Animals that run fast, eg cheetahs, greyhounds, etc, all have very small feet ( relative to humans ), would they run faster if they had longer feet, and if so why have they not evolved with them bigger ?

Obviously if feet are too big they will start to be a hindrance, and for humans I'd of thought if too small you wouldn't get enough of a push off. But what size is optimum for say a 6ft guy ?

So for us probably somewhere in the range that exists. If you were a top athlete would you rather have size 8 or size 12 ?

ps I'm size 10.5 so maybe slightly larger than average, but not too much.
... not showing 7 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums