UKC

Trigger Finger Treatments

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mountain Llama 17 Jan 2013
Had trigger finger in my 2 small fingers on my right hand for 3 weeks. Think it was major stint of DIY that may have caused it as not doing much climbing.

Been to sports injury physio who suggested a set of stretches first, if no good they said go to GP for cortizone injections. No improvement following exercises in fact its got more painful.

Has anyone had similar injury and what worked for you?

Thanks in advanced Davey
 Heybaz 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Mountain Llama: Injection into the knuckle of my right middle finger which was triggering regularly; once by a locum doctor under observation by my GP, once by my GP and once by another GP in the practice, all about a year apart.

On each occasion the triggering stopped within 24 hours; first two times were straightforward and painless but the last one was excruciatingly painful caused, the doctor suggested, by "referred pain" on withdrawing the needle (which was far wider that the ones used on previous occasions). I'm not looking forward to a repeat of that!

That last time was also about a year ago; now the 2nd and 3rd knuckle on the same finger have been feeling bruised for about a month and I cannot form anything approaching a decent fist. Coincidentally I'm off to see the doc this evening to try to get further advice...
In reply to Heybaz: Hi Baz thanks for feedback. Looks like a trip to my GP is in order. Good luck for this pm, please let us know how you get on.

Cheers Davey
 misterb 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Mountain Llama:
suffered this for a couple of weeks where i would wake in the morning with my index and middle finger locked , after straightening the fingers with the other hand 5 mins of massage of the fingers would make them work albeit a bit clunkily.i tried a week of stretching my hands out in a bowl of hot water in the evenings whilst massaging the fingers and it got rid of it.

I think i've had Trigger Finger but the doctor didn't call it that. I smashed the back of my right hand into a cliff during a fall and injured/stretched the tendon leading to my 3rd finger. The finger just curled up into my palm and i couldn't straighten it. I had to have it put in a splint and have ultrasound therapy. It took about 8 weeks before i could grip anything and while i may have enough strength to climb that hand is very weak in certain positions. To be honest that finger just tends to flop about now.
 LastBoyScout 17 Jan 2013

My Dad had it in his left ring finger (or maybe his right, I can't remember). He had surgery to correct it and had to wear a brace for a couple of weeks.

As far as I know, it hasn't given him any more problems.
 gingerwolf 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Mountain Llama: depends on how advanced the trigger finger prognosis is

Early days is easier to treat
Leave it too long and it becomes harder

see my blog post here: http://thomasbondphysio.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/finger-injuries-symptoms-and...
for some ideas
In reply to gingerwolf: Hi Tom, thanks for the post. I have read your blog a few days ago in my search for a remedy. Have you got any more info on massaging the nodule? I have had the locking fingers for about 3 weeks and have tried stretching but this did little and made my fingers sore. Just want to give options a go before cortizone injections.

Cheers Dave
 gingerwolf 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Mountain Llama: Hey Davey
no worries, what you want to do is deep tissue frictions/massage to the affected area

http://www.realbodywork.com/articles/crossfiber.html describes the process well.
In reply to gingerwolf: many thanks, I ll give it a go.

Cheers Davey
 Heybaz 17 Jan 2013

Doc thinks I ought to give it a couple of weeks before further action. If things don't settle I'm off for an x-ray and further investigation as she feels the current prob isn't necessarily related to previous episodes of triggering...
 John_Hat 17 Jan 2013

Yes, have had similar. What worked for me was lots of ibuprofen, immobilising the finger overnight and *not climbing*. It went away after a week or so and its not re-occurred.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...