/ Petrol heads - Decision Advice Needed Please re Jaguar Purchase

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dispater on 17 Jan 2013
Which would you get out of these two, and why:

Jag X-Type 3.0 V6 Sport 4WD Auto 2002 77,000 miles for 2,500

Or

Jag X-Type 3.0 V6 Sport 4WD Manual 2005 99,000 miles for 3,500

Both have full main dealer Jaguar service history.

Thanks in advance!

(Advice to buy something else will be ignored, and a raspberry blown in your general direction!)
koolkat - on 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater: my choice would be the 2005 but depends on your yearly milage , i have a 2.5 L petrol with 105,000 on the clock picked it up with 55,000 miles on it had a few sensor issues which was expensive but sorted and runs great and looks good too ,
the older the car the more brittle the rubber seals and hoses etc get which is why i would go for the 2005 but if you are a high milage driver i would go for the 2002 .
mine is auto as well i guess it uses more fuel than a manual ?
are you fixed on a 3L
TMM - on 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:

I assume you've Googled and read the following.
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=59081

All depends on whether you want to waft or drive.

Personally I think Jag saloons should have an auto for a relaxing, cossetting waft experience.

Boogs on 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:

I'd probably go for the Auto mostly because my left knee is screwed & gets worse when operating a clutch pedal constantly . probably doesn't apply to you though .
Dispater on 17 Jan 2013
In reply to boogie man:

No, my right knee is f*cked. :-)
Dispater on 17 Jan 2013
In reply to koolkat:
> (In reply to Dispater) > are you fixed on a 3L

Looking at the figures, the 2.5 has only slightly better mpg, but is a lot slower.

Dispater on 17 Jan 2013
In reply to TMM:

Cheers. Seems a 3.0 V6 deserves an auto for the full experience.

Would be cool, as I have never driven an automatic in my like.
Toby S - on 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:

My Uncle has the Manual from 2005, lovely car to drive. I used to drive a few relatives around the North West coast and it was a joy - although my 3 series Beemer handles better :-) The auto will likely be a bit more thirsty but I think I'd struggle to choose between the two!

Boogs on 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:
> (In reply to boogie man)
>
> No, my right knee is f*cked. :-)

I was going to suggest a left hand drive Auto but that wouldn't quite work out would ? or would it ? <scratches head gormlessly> 80)

Go on go for the Auto they are lovely when you get used to them ! Which wont take long .
Steve John B - on 17 Jan 2013
In reply to boogie man: My old man had a Daimler V12 3 speed auto when I was a teenager in the 80's (I think it might have been Sturmey Archer), the kickdown was awesome as long as you didn't mind waiting a bit...
jkarran - on 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:

I'd personally be leaning toward the cheaper auto. Firstly because it's cheaper. Secondly because unless you drive it like you stole it* auto is just so much nicer.

*if that is how you drive then I'd suggest a different car

jk
Skyfall - on 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:

I have a 3l BMW and also went for an auto for the 1st time and never regretted it. Much nicer to drive a large engined car, particularly if you do a lot of start/stop driving eg. commuting. Horses for courses a bit though - wouldn't necessarily get one next time around, depends on the car.
thin bob on 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:
Normally, i'd go for the newer car.. but the auto jags just seem to go well with the style of driving. Loved the ones I drove for a month or so.

Unless you're doing a bank-job, in which case , get a mark 2 manual, some flared trousers, donkey jacket and The Sweeny boxset on dvd :-)
Dispater on 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:

Cheers guys! I'm pretty much settled on the older auto.
Will offer 1800 in cash and see how we get on.

Thanks all.
Timmd on 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:

If you're the sort who worries about this kind of thing, I understand you can't bump start automatics.
Dispater on 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Timmd:

I'm the sort of person that carries a spare battery, just in case.

I am buying a Jaguar, after all. :)
balmybaldwin - on 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmkegCs1VYE

I love my X-type (a 2.2d)
I like climbing - on 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:
I have a Jaguar and I love them. Unfortunately I only know how to drive them. Best ask a mechanic but they are great cars. Good luck and I hope it works out.
Jus - on 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:

what MPG does it do?!
Dispater on 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Jus:

Dunno, but it's bloody lovely and fast.

Just drove home in the Auto. Knocked them down to 2100.

:-)
Boogs on 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:

Sounds like a good deal to me , happy motoring .
ads.ukclimbing.com
Dispater on 18 Jan 2013
In reply to boogie man:

Cheers Dude. I've already spent two minutes stood outside Tesco looking for a maroon Mondeo estate, and hit a kerb doing a 3 point turn in a cul-de-sac (bit snowy here ATM).

:-)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.